Recipe Tofu Marinade

SatNavSaysStraightOn

Staff member
Local time
12:24 AM
Website
www.satnavsaysstraighton.com
One of the main problems I have encountered with being vegan is getting enough protein into our diets despite living beans. My husband tolerates soya protein chunks (TVP) when he's in then mood, and tofu, another good source of protein, is in a similar category. He loves eggs but there really are only do many you can eat in a week, week in week or, so I have been working on some easy tofu marinades. You need a firm tofu for this marinade, not silken tofu. We find the Cauldron Foods one works really well.

Ingredients
Spices
1 tsp ground cumin
2 tsp ground coriander
1 tsp ground turmeric
1 tbsp paprika
1/2 tsp cayenne pepper (or to taste, it's also optional)

Liquid
4 tbsp white wine vinegar (apple cider vinegar also works well)
2 tbsp tamari

1 block of well drained firm tofu, sliced or cubed

Method
  • Ensure that you tofu block is well drained by pressing as much liquid from it as you can. I actually find using my hands works really well for the Cauldron Foods firm tofu but you may need to press the tofu block between 2 plates or similar. Now slice the block into 5-7mm thick slices (8 slices of the above tofu block when sliced along the longest side). We often slice the tofu into long thin sticks, but this is up to you.
  • Mix all of the spices together in a small bowl or ramekin.
  • Place the tofu slices in a suitable flat bottomed bowl so that they are only a single layer thick.
  • Sprinkle 2 tbsp of the spice mix over the tofu before adding in the liquids.
  • Cover with clingfilm or similar and leave overnight if possible, turning first thing in the morning to ensure a good coverage of the tofu.
  • Fry with a touch of oil to get a crispy surface on the tofu on both sides before serving. The remaining liquid can be reduced to make a sauce if wanted.
This recipe works well with a various alternatives for the vinegar including rice wine vinegar, apple cider vinegar and red wine vinegar, but for some reason had not worked well swapping out the tamari (a version of soy sauce).

We have also successfully used balsamic vinegar and pomegranate molasses instead of the above liquids (omit the tamari and cayenne pepper) creating a much sweeter sticky marinade.

Here is my recipe for tofu that I had learned since I migrated in my husband country in South Korea...

...Remove excess water from the tofu and drain it in paper towel and slice it into cubes before frying it.

...After frying drain again in paper towels and set aside.

Ingredients for the sauce mixture:

Soy Sauce
Hot Chili Pepper Flakes
Corn Syrup
Sesame Oil
Sesame Seeds
Onion Leeks (Chopped)
Garlic (Minced)

Just combine all the ingredients and mix them together. And for the measurement it depends upon how many tofu you will fry. You just estimate the right amount of your sauce that you will need.

Arrange the fried tofu in a plate and spread the sauce mixture on top.

I am doing this most of the time and you will really enjoy eating tofu this way.

Int
Here is my recipe for tofu that I had learned since I migrated in my husband country in South Korea...

...Remove excess water from the tofu and drain it in paper towel and slice it into cubes before frying it.

...After frying drain again in paper towels and set aside.

Ingredients for the sauce mixture:

Soy Sauce
Hot Chili Pepper Flakes
Corn Syrup
Sesame Oil
Sesame Seeds
Onion Leeks (Chopped)
Garlic (Minced)

Just combine all the ingredients and mix them together. And for the measurement it depends upon how many tofu you will fry. You just estimate the right amount of your sauce that you will need.

Arrange the fried tofu in a plate and spread the sauce mixture on top.

I am doing this most of the time and you will really enjoy eating tofu this way.
Its interesting that you marinate the tofu after frying. The opposite of what we would do with any other ingredient. But I can see it makes a lot of sense. The tofu will retain a good shape but still soak up the flavour. I will try this!

Int

Its interesting that you marinate the tofu after frying. The opposite of what we would do with any other ingredient. But I can see it makes a lot of sense. The tofu will retain a good shape but still soak up the flavour. I will try this!

Yes we always fry first our tofu before marinating. And you are right because through this method the tofu will retain its good shape. :)

Back
Top Bottom