Tortilla Wrap Fillings

lizzief79

Veteran
Local time
9:47 PM
I am not a big fan of bread. Some granary breads I don't mind, but I won't eat white bread at all. When we go for a picnic, I tend to take a tortilla wrap instead of a sandwich. I'm looking for some new ideas. Fillings I currently use are spiced lamb with roasted peppers, sweet chilli chicken with soured cream and salad and tuna mayonnaise. I need a bit of inspiration for cheap but tasty fillings that you can eat cold. Any thoughts?

I use hummus or mayonnaise to keep everything together, but as a vegetarian I use a combination of grilled or roasted peppers, mushrooms or eggplant with lettuce, sweetcorn relish and some guacamole. Wraps are great as long as you can keep all the fillings in.

Spicy Mexican food with beans and grated cheess is good inside a wrap. I also like grated cheese and salad leaves in a wrap. Sometimes I spread peanut butter on a wrap and then roll it around a peeled banana.

I don't always roll up a wrap, I also fold them into a pocket that is roughly triangular.

I use hummus or mayonnaise to keep everything together, but as a vegetarian I use a combination of grilled or roasted peppers, mushrooms or eggplant with lettuce, sweetcorn relish and some guacamole. Wraps are great as long as you can keep all the fillings in.

Spicy Mexican food with beans and grated cheess is good inside a wrap. I also like grated cheese and salad leaves in a wrap. Sometimes I spread peanut butter on a wrap and then roll it around a peeled banana.

I don't always roll up a wrap, I also fold them into a pocket that is roughly triangular.

With the exception of the peanut butter and banana idea, these all sound great. Thank you! I did eat peanut butter and jam together when I was a child, but the thought of combining peanut butter, a tortilla wrap and a banana doesn't appeal to me. My daughter just read this over my shoulder and she thinks it sounds amazing!

My personal favorite right now is roasted chicken, fire roasted red peppers, and mayo. I usually make them with the leftover roasted chicken we had for dinner the previous night. It is a super inexpensive filling and is packed with good flavor.

Just keep trying different things, to be honest most ingredients work well in a tortilla wrap. For example just ham, some mayo (or mayo based sauce) with a couple of vegetables makes for a great one. Also.. since we are talking about cold wraps, try seafood? Maybe a salmon or shrimp paste... then throw in a bit of lettuce and cucumber?

I also highly recommend using different types of cheese, especially the really strange ones. Try putting feta cheese into a chicken wrap. YUM!

I also make egg scrambles in tortillas sometimes in the morning. I take hashbrowns, eggs, chopped bacon, and veggies and cook them all together in a pan. After this, I add some of the filling to the tortilla and top it off with cheese, sourcream, and salsa. Tortillas are just such an easy to use food holder that does not contain all the breadiness of a bread.

I love Jimmy John's veggie sandwiches, and what they put in them would also probably work just fine in a wrap: Guacamole, tomatoes, lettuce, bean sprouts, provolone cheese, mayo, and cucumber - but I also add their optional roasted hot peppers too. They took the bean sprouts off the menu about a year ago, due to some bad batch which was contaminated, and haven't added them back since unfortunately - but of course if you are making them yourself you can.

There are numerous recipes out there for a tuna and white bean salad, which also works well in a wrap. It's a nice change of pace from the usual mayo and tuna - instead using vinegar and oil. Plus the white beans add extra bulk and fiber.

Honestly, I could just be fine loading it up with some roasted and marinated bell peppers, as well as marinated mushrooms and lettuce and cheese.

Or perhaps a turkey rueben - turkey, coleslaw, thousand island dressing, & swiss.

I had a chipotle chicken wrap yesterday in a spinach tortilla and it was great. The sauce that the catering service used was spicy and very rich. I am going to try to mimic it and will give you all the recipe if I can figure out. One of my hobbies in life is to find great food at restaurants and then mimic it for use in my home at a fraction of the cost.

I like wraps with eggs and sausage mixed up with some cheese and hot sauce as one filling. Another wrap is some chicken with lettuce and honey mustard! Well, that's a usual one but it's still rather tasty to me. Although I don't know if you'll like it. Failing all that, I'll just dress it up like it's a tucked in crepe with a very thick tortilla. I'm sure you'll find something amazing though!

This reminds me of the cover photo on a Indonesia and Phillipines cookbook that I have.
51b-zc5-nhL._SX258_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

I bought the book just because of that photo! Of course I have yet to make these "spring rolls," lol.

Just keep trying different things... Also.. since we are talking about cold wraps, try seafood? Maybe a salmon or shrimp paste... then throw in a bit of lettuce and cucumber?

I like that idea! Maybe a salmon salad (made just like tuna) with lettuce and...

Another wrap is some chicken with lettuce and... Failing all that, I'll just dress it up like it's a tucked in crepe with a very thick tortilla. I'm sure you'll find something amazing though!

You've just answered the question I wanted to pose to everyone else...

I am not a big fan of bread... When we go for a picnic, I tend to take a tortilla wrap instead of a sandwich...
Wraps are great as long as you can keep all the fillings in.
My personal favorite right now... It is a super inexpensive filling and is packed with good flavor.
There are numerous recipes out there for a tuna and white bean salad, which also works well in a wrap.

When I think of a tortilla wrap, I think of something not too thick that is rolled like this...

deli-tortilla-wrap-cut-half-5575107.jpg

And then sliced into pinwheels. I never think about making them and having them like a burrito! This gives me something new to think about in preparing quick and easy meals. Thanks!

When you start to think of a wrap like a cold burrito, you are in for a treat because now you can come up with a ton of different fillings. I love to let my mind go wild in the kitchen and come up with different ways to make my favorite foods.

When you start to think of a wrap like a cold burrito, you are in for a treat because now you can come up with a ton of different fillings. I love to let my mind go wild in the kitchen and come up with different ways to make my favorite foods.

I am already looking forward to all the things I could try. I usually keep spring roll wrappers and bean thread noodles on hand for spring/fresh/summer rolls, but I hadn't thought of doing it with a tortilla. A lot of times when I'm busy, I don't want to take the time out to go through a lot of prep to prepare a full meal. Also, in summer it's sometimes too hot to want to cook.

I've recently taken to cooking my own strips of chicken (or browning my own meat) filling for Tortillas. I can't remember the last time. I prefer mozzarella and cheddar shred varieties of cheese, and to slice and saute my own onions and peppers for the filling. I find if you make each ingredient separately it always tastes better in the end. Could be my imagination.

Oh yeah, and use organic, never frozen stuff. You'll never eat a better quesadilla or burritos.

Reading some of the comments about everyone's favorite wrap fillings puts me in mind of fajitas. This idea is really growing on me! Thanks for starting this thread, @lizzief79! I'm about to start a new job and taking wraps will be an easy solution for my lunches. Unlike my beloved fresh spring rolls, the wraps won't need a sauce.

Back
Top Bottom