Travel Plans For 2024

Congratulations LissaC the Maldives are a wonderful place to visit

Back on topic: We are doing Thailand again at Easter, Bangkok to start this time then a week in Khao Lak with a trip to Elephant Hills. Not sure what we will do later in the year, but I fancy Bear Watching in Finland around my birthday.

So this is news, but me and the boyfriend are getting married :D We can't afford a "proper" wedding (which would cost close to 20k here in Portugal), so we're just signing the papers at the local registry, taking some pics and hanging out with close family and friends for a while, then we'll head for our one-week honeymoon in an all inclusive resort in the Maldives:D We chose Villa Park which is one of the biggest, and will probably be enough to keep us entertained for the week. That trip will be in April 2024.

I still have one last trip to go in 2023, once again I'm going to the Airbus factory in Toulouse, that will be in November.

Many congratulations :happy:

I'm late to the party but big congratulations to LissaC 🎉
I was at uni in the mid/late 90's and due to go home for the Christmas holidays when my now husband rang and said do you want to get married when you come home next week? I said not really 😆 he replied it'll make life easier with the olds. So I agreed and we got married the next week.
We just about managed to buy wedding rings and my mum found somewhere nice open on the 28th December for the wedding breakfast and that was that. Went back to work the next day.

On the way out of the registry office a large super meringued bride rudely pushed passed me to get through the door, I was taken aback and it rather burst my bubble. Her Rolls Royce driver saw this and as I walked by in my modest dress and usual maroon wool coat with my 12 guests wearing whatever they fancied (no bridesmaids, no top hats) he winked and said the bigger the wedding the faster the divorce. 😆

We honeymooned 10 years later at Burgh Island when my husband quipped that he was waiting to see if I was worth it first!!
Cheeky sod 😆

But back on track.

All the talk on here of American food and cowboy boots has given me the kick up the proverbial to get on with planning.
So I've just emailed a company about shipping our bikes to America and ordered an enormous map! Not sure it will be happening in 2024 what with needing to sort out care for my mother likely taking a while and wanting to take the weather into consideration but it's definitely happening!

I'm late to the party but big congratulations to LissaC 🎉
I was at uni in the mid/late 90's and due to go home for the Christmas holidays when my now husband rang and said do you want to get married when you come home next week? I said not really 😆 he replied it'll make life easier with the olds. So I agreed and we got married the next week.
We just about managed to buy wedding rings and my mum found somewhere nice open on the 28th December for the wedding breakfast and that was that. Went back to work the next day.

On the way out of the registry office a large super meringued bride rudely pushed passed me to get through the door, I was taken aback and it rather burst my bubble. Her Rolls Royce driver saw this and as I walked by in my modest dress and usual maroon wool coat with my 12 guests wearing whatever they fancied (no bridesmaids, no top hats) he winked and said the bigger the wedding the faster the divorce. 😆

We honeymooned 10 years later at Burgh Island when my husband quipped that he was waiting to see if I was worth it first!!
Cheeky sod 😆
Ohh that actually sounds lovely! 😍 Honestly if it was me I would freak out about not having time to find a wedding dress lol I've always dreamed about wearing a wedding dress( but not getting married!) but a low stress, impromptu wedding sounds lovely!

Ohh that actually sounds lovely! 😍 Honestly if it was me I would freak out about not having time to find a wedding dress lol I've always dreamed about wearing a wedding dress( but not getting married!) but a low stress, impromptu wedding sounds lovely!
It is IMO a much nicer way to get married, no time for people to go crazy with demands and invites, you can stay focused on the point of it which is publicly declaring your love and intentions to stay together forever.

Dress wise I just ordered an off the shelf ivory slip dress and adjusted it myself a couple of days before the wedding. As it was distinctly unbride like I also wore it to a couple of black tie events and again my 10th wedding anniversary so I feel I got my monies worth 😆
But really if you have the opportunity to wear a beautiful dress that makes you feel good then thats marvellous 👍❤️

It is IMO a much nicer way to get married, no time for people to go crazy with demands and invites, you can stay focused on the point of it which is publicly declaring your love and intentions to stay together forever.

Dress wise I just ordered an off the shelf ivory slip dress and adjusted it myself a couple of days before the wedding. As it was distinctly unbride like I also wore it to a couple of black tie events and again my 10th wedding anniversary so I feel I got my monies worth 😆
But really if you have the opportunity to wear a beautiful dress that makes you feel good then thats marvellous 👍❤️

As long as you have the wedding you want and you enjoy your day, Those are the important things, I bet you looked lovely as will you LissaC

As long as you have the wedding you want and you enjoy your day, Those are the important things, I bet you looked lovely as will you LissaC
Thank you for the kind words 🥰

We're obviously doing a "low cost" wedding for monetary reasons, but I honestly don't know what kind of wedding party I would like. I love weddings for the meaning they carry, and love the ceremony, but I feel like a lot of things in a "traditional" wedding look like a play put together for others to see. The reception, the photos that look unnatural and fake (the classic "bride and groom looking passionately into each others eyes", "bride looking at her bouquet", "bride and groom holding each other looking in the distance", etc), the meal interrupted a thousand times by speeches and kisses and whatnot, the clumsy first dance, the cake opening where the bride and groom force guests to hold candles for them as they approach the cake, the fireworks during the cake...that all sounds like a play to me, plus I hate that feeling that it's a day with a schedule where you do one thing after the other and there's no spontaneity.

Plus most people I know actually hate attending weddings. They just don't tell the bride and groom they hated their wedding, but before/after they complain how they'll be wasting time attending a wedding this weekend/how they wasted time attending a wedding last weekend. I have the feeling the only people genuinely enthusiastic about the wedding are the bride and groom and their close family.

A colleague of mine had her wedding in a theatre room that they rented, and I wasn't there but I've seen her wedding pictures and in every photo are people are laughing, smiling and genuinely looking like they're having a blast. That is the kind of feeling I like to see in a wedding party.

All the talk on here of American food and cowboy boots has given me the kick up the proverbial to get on with planning.
So I've just emailed a company about shipping our bikes to America and ordered an enormous map! Not sure it will be happening in 2024 what with needing to sort out care for my mother likely taking a while and wanting to take the weather into consideration but it's definitely happening!

Apparently you have more financial resources these days than you did in the 90s. Good for you!

Those of us "Murcans" will welcome you with open arms -- please allow us to help you with your trek. It is a great country (as long as the orange man does not get another shot at ruining it), and a great place to travel on two wheels.

Through this forum, you now know several of us that will help you do the ride, and enjoy it. You will need that. It's huge country. Like anywhere in the world, it's good to know some "locals."

You surely know you have a friend in Texas, who can help you with BBQ and cowboy boots -- and chili with one "L." :wink:

CD

Thank you for the kind words 🥰

We're obviously doing a "low cost" wedding for monetary reasons, but I honestly don't know what kind of wedding party I would like. I love weddings for the meaning they carry, and love the ceremony, but I feel like a lot of things in a "traditional" wedding look like a play put together for others to see. The reception, the photos that look unnatural and fake (the classic "bride and groom looking passionately into each others eyes", "bride looking at her bouquet", "bride and groom holding each other looking in the distance", etc), the meal interrupted a thousand times by speeches and kisses and whatnot, the clumsy first dance, the cake opening where the bride and groom force guests to hold candles for them as they approach the cake, the fireworks during the cake...that all sounds like a play to me, plus I hate that feeling that it's a day with a schedule where you do one thing after the other and there's no spontaneity.

Plus most people I know actually hate attending weddings. They just don't tell the bride and groom they hated their wedding, but before/after they complain how they'll be wasting time attending a wedding this weekend/how they wasted time attending a wedding last weekend. I have the feeling the only people genuinely enthusiastic about the wedding are the bride and groom and their close family.

A colleague of mine had her wedding in a theatre room that they rented, and I wasn't there but I've seen her wedding pictures and in every photo are people are laughing, smiling and genuinely looking like they're having a blast. That is the kind of feeling I like to see in a wedding party.

We had a non religious ceremony, gave the wedding planner's assistant and a witness a digital camera each and let them do what they wanted, they both gave us some cracking pics because we didn't pose for them so they were us naturally.

Sometimes too much emphasis is placed on showing off instead of the actual meaning of the day.

Do what is right for you.

Apparently you have more financial resources these days than you did in the 90s. Good for you!

Those of us "Murcans" will welcome you with open arms -- please allow us to help you with your trek. It is a great country (as long as the orange man does not get another shot at ruining it), and a great place to travel on two wheels.

Through this forum, you now know several of us that will help you do the ride, and enjoy it. You will need that. It's huge country. Like anywhere in the world, it's good to know some "locals."

You surely know you have a friend in Texas, who can help you with BBQ and cowboy boots -- and chili with one "L." :wink:

CD

Wow that's truly lovely. Thankyou.
It will be great to know some folk over the pond.

When it's coming together I'll start a thread as I'm certain input from real "Murcans" (feel bad typing that now 😆) will be invaluable.
I have saved a lot of the comments and post's from before about food and cheeses etc so it is appreciated.

If the orange man appears perhaps I could do some clumsy free wheeling over his golf course, dayglow orange shouldn't be too hard to pick out 😂

Who knows maybe I'll come back able to spell chilli with one L 😆

Back
Top Bottom