Turbot

Morning Glory

Obsessive cook
Staff member
Local time
5:07 AM
"The king of the sea", it is said and I was lucky enough to buy a whole one today, in Saffron Walden market. I also bagged some enormous crevettes and some clams. It has to be said that turbot is not a cheap fish. This one set me back £18 ($25)

Have you ever cooked or eaten turbot?

My plan is to oven bake it whole on a bed of sliced fennel with lemon slices and rosemary. I will post a photo later when I've cooked it - but it will be in poor light.

Here is what I bought - in terms of scale the turbot is approx 10 inches across and a foot long.

fullsizeoutput_2a94.jpeg

@morning glory
We do not have Turbot nor have I eaten it.
I do love flat fish. I have eaten Halibut - fresh off of the boat in Washington State. Flounder is a local delicacy - Fresh from the Gulf. Availability makes it a personal favorite.

Can't wait to see what you do with your Turbot. :happy:

Turbot, called Rodaballo in Spanish is very common in Galicia on the northwest coast as well as Gerona and Barcelona on the northeast coast and the Madrid Capital as well as in Marseille, France ..

Of course, it is wild and less expensive here.

The preparations here are usually oven baked with dry White wine and Evoo .. It is a very sublime refined White fish .. And very popular during the Christmas season ..

Rodaballo, from the Family Scophthalmidae, is called Psetta Maxima in Latin, Rodaballo in Spanish, Rémol de Petxines in Catalan, Turbot in English and French and Erreboilo in Basque .. It is a fish of extreme high quality and the most expensive White fish next to the Sea Bream in Spain.

We prepare it quite a bit differently, and very authentically traditional, in Cava or Sidra (Sparkling Cider from Asturias) and or Txacoli, a sparkling Basque White wine .. baked in oven ..

We sometimes use a bed of Basque piquillo red pointy sweet peppers or simply authentically traditionally oven baked in sparkling White wine or sparkling Sidra Cider, with sea salt and a sprinkle of fresh black pepper and fresh minced parsley and a drizzle of lemon, a drizzle of Green Evoo from Tarragona or Gerona and a knob of French butter 82% butter fat ..

We never add too many ingredients as it does not enhance such a delicate wild White fish catch, and henceforth, all one does is taste the other ingredients instead of the fish .. Sometimes, we do prepare Romesco or Salsa Verde ( two authentically traditional dipping salsas for fish here) and serve in a sauce boat for those who want to dip ..

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom