Turkish coffee anyone?

mayasupernova

Veteran
Local time
2:35 PM
Hello guys,
I live in Serbia, and due to almost 5 centuries under Turkish occupation, we have been left with various food and beverages that originated from Turkey, coffee being among them.
Therefore, we drink something that we call Turkish coffee here. We cook it. You pour some water in a pot (we call it dzezva, which is a Turkish word), and when it is almost boiling, we add sugar (if you like it with sugar, or just do not add it at all if you prefer coffee without sugar), and then we add a teaspoon full of this brown powder called coffee. We wait until it boils (reaches the edge of the pot) and we serve it in a coffee cups, warm.
Have you ever heard of Turkish coffee before?
I will post some photos so you see what it is like.
Usually, we serve it in fildzan, another Turkish word for a very small cup for Turkish coffee, with a sweet called Turkish Delight (ratluk in Serbian).

Attachments

• doncafe_mirise_na_dobro_v.jpg
    doncafe_mirise_na_dobro_v.jpg
    95.5 KB · Views: 491
  • images.jpg
    images.jpg
    10.3 KB · Views: 410
  • poiuj.jpg
    poiuj.jpg
    10.2 KB · Views: 408
  • Tursko-kafe.jpg
    Tursko-kafe.jpg
    46.3 KB · Views: 923
I have never had Turkish coffee before. Does ithat have a different flavoured then other coffee?

It's not too dissimilar to what you get in many Middle Eastern countries, usually coming very strong and very sweet. East Africa has another similar style, though there is more Italian influence. One of the first things I learned to say when I lived in Eritrea was "without sugar."

What they have in common is the effect of making you feel totally wired after one very small cup.

I lived in Egypt for a year many moons ago and this is very similar to coffee served there. Its strange really, because as far as I understand it, to make good coffee it shouldn't be boiled. Also you say that you add the coffee as a 'brown powder' - I see you have included a photo of the packets. Is this instant coffee or simply ground beans?

Interesting! The only thing I've heard of Turkish coffee is in movies/fiction where it's always described as being very strong and sweet. I can't say that I've tried it personally myself, though. My favorite coffee I've tried from my global traves is Vietnamese coffee which is served iced with sweetened condensed milk...it's delicious!

Back
Top Bottom