Turkish food

Middle East, Eastern Mediterranean, Balkans, Caucasia; Turks, Arabs, Jews, Greeks, Armenians, Bulgarians of today who introduce baklava as their national dessert were all part of the Ottoman empire once where baklava was made in the palace mainly for the royalty.

For me it's best version is in Turkey, especially from the city of Antep. I tried baklava in famous places in Greece and in some ME countries and Egypt, they are not close to a good Turkish baklava. (I've also come across to very bad quality Turkish baklava in Europe).
The photo below is from my favorite baklava shop (Imam Cagdas) in Antep:
View attachment 62531
Wow.Is it with pistacchios?

Are there no mangal restaurants near you?

Turkish is quite similar to Greek, though you won't get pork.
Some of the Turkish food is also found in Greek cuisine with some twists. But there are different food in different parts of the Turkey, for example in northern part of the Turkey is more similar to Georgian, Armenian cuisine; the southern part shares great deal of food with Middle Eastern countries. Aegean side is more healthy and relies more on seafood and fresh vegetables and naturally more closer to Greeks. The world thinks that Turkey is like a giant grill, but it has much more to offer in terms of complex dishes. The overall marketing of the cuisine and inferior Turkish restaurants in Europe are not helping here.

Back
Top Bottom