Turkish rolled borek/burek

saqib

Veteran
Local time
8:20 PM
Hi everyone. Has any one ever tried this turkish/ eastern European pastry dish? I went to turkey and also Bosnia some time back and I used to eat it every day. They cook it like a huge pizza with usually a cheese or potato or spinach filing. I tried both the cheese one as well as the potato one. They were both extremely delicious.

I haven't seen it before but it's looks really good. I love trying new foods from other cultures. It's unfortunate where I live there are not man exotic restaurants.

I think this is similar to Eyptian Fatayer. I lived in Egypt many years ago and it was sold on street stalls. It was fascinating watching the vendor stretching and spinning the dough until it was paper thin and then folding in the filling.There were both savoury and sweet versions. I seem to remember the sweet version was literally dripping with syrup of some sort and crushed nuts. They were incredibly calorific!

Hi everyone. Has any one ever tried this turkish/ eastern European pastry dish? I went to turkey and also Bosnia some time back and I used to eat it every day. They cook it like a huge pizza with usually a cheese or potato or spinach filing. I tried both the cheese one as well as the potato one. They were both extremely delicious.
That sounds extremely interesting. It sounds like a stromboli or pierogi type of dish. It is one of the options that I might look foard to. It is just one of the resaons I like to travel You can get to sample a variety of foods and all are yummy!

Whilst we were travelling in southern Turkey a number of winters ago, we came across something similar to the Burek called Gözleme which I think are pretty much the same things but the Wiki description is somewhat lacking. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gözleme They were made from Yufka which is a form or (or actually is) phyllo (filo) pastry as we know it in the UK. The stuffings were a potato and spinach option or cheese option IIRC. It was an exceptionally large circle and you put the filling on thinly before folding it into quarters and then cooking the quarter on a huge hot gridle for a few minutes turning it over half way through. The result was breakfast! :hungry:

Back
Top Bottom