The Late Night Gourmet

Home kook
Staff member
Local time
8:28 PM
Website
absolute0cooking.com
00c094ab-3741-4aa5-bfd7-f421674af852-jpeg.jpg

I previously posted a Moroccan Flatbread recipe that I really love. The main difference between that and the traditional method is that I sauté the onions first: I prefer a less harsh bite. In this case, the most significant difference is the use of yogurt to fill out the volume. It's a Weight Watchers trick that sometimes makes the dough too soft, but in this case it really works. Oh...and two traditional North African ingredients - Ras El Hanout and turmeric - are usually not part of this type of flatbread...until now, that is. Both work exceptionally well here.

Ingredients

1/2 teaspoon dry yeast One fast rise yeast packet
1/4 cup warm water
1 1/2 cup fat free Greek yogurt divided
1 cup all purpose flour
1 cup corn flour
2 teaspoons turmeric
1 1/4 teaspoons kosher salt divided
2 teaspoons canola oil divided
2 cups onions chopped
1/2 cup parsley fresh, finely chopped
2 teaspoons paprika
1 teaspoon cumin, toasted and ground
1 teaspoon Ras El Hanout
1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
1 teaspoon olive oil

Directions

1. Dissolve yeast in warm water with 1/2 cup of yogurt in a large mixing bowl; let stand 5 minutes. Add flour, Ras El Hanout, turmeric, remaining yogurt, and 3/4 teaspoon of salt to yeast mixture; stir with a mixer equipped with dough hooks or use a wooden spoon until smooth.

2. Turn dough out onto a lightly floured surface; knead a few minutes, until flour is fully incorporated. Shape dough into a ball; spray inside of a bowl with cooking spray and place the dough ball inside it. Seal bowl with plastic wrap and allow to rest at room temperature for at least an hour.

3. Heat a pan on medium with 1 teaspoon of canola oil. Sauté the onions in the pan for a few minutes, until the onions become translucent. Allow to cool before proceeding to next step.

4. Combine onion, parsley, 1 teaspoon of olive oil, paprika, cumin, 1/2 teaspoon of salt, and crushed red pepper. Mix thoroughly into a paste.

5. Cut dough into 10 equal portions. Start with one portion and cover remaining dough with a wet kitchen towel to prevent drying. Using a well-floured surface, flatten each portion until very thin and shape into a square. Spoon 1 tablespoon onion mixture in center of dough. Fold left and right sides of dough together until they meet in the middle. Fold top and bottom sides together in the same way, wetting the dough if needed to get the flaps to stick. Press down and reshape the dough to form a square. Repeat for remaining dough portions and onion mixture.

6. Heat 1/2 teaspoon canola oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium heat. Add some flatbreads, making sure not to crowd the skillet; cook for 2 minutes on each side or until crisp and golden. Transfer flatbreads to cooling rack. Repeat procedure with remaining 1/2 teaspoon canola oil and flatbreads.

7. Serve while still hot with a side of harissa.

d278c623-7da9-4c36-8b6a-bc82bd015128-jpeg.jpg

Last edited:
This is not just a flatbread - its a packet of flavour! In fact, I'm not sure its a flatbread at all. But it certainly sounds delicious.
Moroccan Flatbread is made with this kind of filling, and it's still called a flatbread, but I agree: this is more than a typical flatbread, which I would think of as an accompaniment to something else. And, it's not even particularly flat, given the filling. :)

Back
Top Bottom