It is indeed very simple to make.

Ingredients
  • 1 sheet refrigerated pie pastry/shortcrust pastry/sweet shortcrust pastry
  • 36 caramels
  • 1 cup heavy whipping cream, divided into ½ cups
  • 3½ cups pecan halves
  • ½ cup semisweet chocolate chips, melted
Instructions
  1. Preheat oven to 450°F/220C. Unroll pastry on a lightly floured surface. Transfer to an 11-in. fluted tart pan with removable bottom and trim the edges.
  2. Line the unpricked pastry shell with a double thickness of heavy-duty foil/grease proof paper and baking beans if you have them. Bake for 8 minutes before removing foil/greaseproof paper and bake for another 5-6 minutes longer or until light golden brown.
  3. Allow to cool on a wire rack.
  4. In a large saucepan combine caramels and 1/2 cup cream. Warm over a medium-low heat until the caramels are melted, then stir in the pecans.
  5. Spread the filling evenly over the pastry crust and drizzle with melted chocolate.
  6. Refrigerate for 30 minutes or until set.
  7. Whip the remaining cream and serve with tart.

Last edited:
I presume its called turtle because the finish with the pecans looks a bit like a turtle shell? Reading the recipe and looking at the image of the finished result makes me think that you would need to assemble the pecans in their sauce quite carefully to get this effect. In the picture, the pecans look to be quite carefully layered. Still, I'm sure it would taste delicious to sweet lovers however its assembled! :)

exps44367_TH1443686D41C.jpg

I presume its called turtle because the finish with the pecans looks a bit like a turtle shell? Reading the recipe and looking at the image of the finished result makes me think that you would need to assemble the pecans in their sauce quite carefully to get this effect. In the picture, the pecans look to be quite carefully layered. Still, I'm sure it would taste delicious to sweet lovers however its assembled! :)

View attachment 1402
Ahhhhhh, the assert of food photography. How to present something that looks delicious, will tempt the person looking at it and will never ever again be seen in a kitchen anywhere by anyone attempting to recreate the final product! :roflmao:

View attachment 1402
Not just the way they are laid ,you try and cut something as accurate as that with nuts it just falls apart ,but the nuts are all smooth faced ,mystery !

View attachment 1402

I'm not sure about the origin of the term, but many recipes including caramel, pecans and chocolate are referred to as 'turtle' this or that here in the U.S. Perhaps the caramel holds some of the nut pieces in place, but I don't much care if it falls apart, as long as the ingredients are there and it tastes good, although that would matter in a restaurant or at a function.

Back
Top Bottom