Twelve Favorite Fruits (at least today... ) ?

Mountain Cat

Veteran
Local time
11:43 AM
Website
goatsandgreens.wordpress.com
Well, here I'm asking for a list of the twelve fruits respondents don't want to live without.

Again, rather than ranking, I went alphabetical.

• Apples (the tart-er the better)
  • Australian Finger Lime
  • Avocado
  • Blood Orange
  • Figs (fresh, only - NOT dried!)
  • Grapefruit
  • Lemons
  • Limes
  • Pears
  • Plums
  • Raspberries
  • Strawberries (the only fruit on this list I am fine with, dried)
Absolute LEAST favorite of fruit I've tried: the date, fresh OR dried. I just look at the thing and feel instant diabetes!

My first thought is twelve is a lot. Woefully, I don't eat nearly enough fruit and if truth be told I probably go weeks (months?) on end without eating any. Its not that I dislike it - I just prefer vegetables and savoury tastes really. Perhaps I'm unusual? I have a hunch @Yorky might be a bit the same - but could be wrong.

So I will have to think if there are any at all I can't live without...

I have a hunch @Yorky might be a bit the same - but could be wrong.

Fruits.

I generally eat what my wife buys. But not usually a lot of each.

Grapes are great to eat during the night when you wake up with a mouth as dry as a chicken's cage. Rose apples are in the same category. Bananas I'll eat if they're not too sweet. Rambutans I'll eat a few as with lychees and mangosteens. A red dragon fruit is acceptable. If I could buy crab apples and gooseberries I'd be ecstatic.Grapefruit is one of my favourites but not available locally although pomelos are available in season. We do have a green skinned orange here which I like - it is very tart. My wife chopped up a honeydew yesterday and I ate half of it. I've never really fancied jackfruit.

I cannot and would not go near durian!

WIth fruit, I really don't keep any of these around all the time (other than lemons and limes). I would love to have strawberries all the time and mine are actually bearing fruit right now - but off season, meh. So maybe I should have worded this as fruits I truly enjoy when I can even if I may not eat them every month...

Being a savory rather than sweet person, I was surprised that I came up with as many, myself.

I have no idea what a rambutan is.

They are not in season here at the moment. But these are they........

rambutan 2 s.jpg

Carambola (Starfruit)

I'd forgotten all about starfruit.

When I lived in Malaysia it was provided by the hotel in their daily fruit dish. I'd not had it before and I loved the tartness. I ate the two pieces which were in the dish and left the other fruits. The next day there were three pieces in the dish and I ate all three. This went on until the dish was full of starfruit and virtually nothing else. I became really fed up with starfruit and asked the maid to stop serving it. I cannot buy it easily where I am now and I miss it.

There are many tropical fruits that grow well here. Leeches, longans, carambola, sapodilla, papaya, bananas, Barbados cherry and mangoes. Our winter strawberries are excellent. Of course we have citrus and avocados. Mulberries and coco plums also grow here.

Tomatoes are my favourite, :D

I do like a good perfumed melon - particularly with some good prosciutto or parma ham or the like. In fact, I think I prefer fruit with savoury things to eating it on its own.

My list so far (no particular order):
Tomatoes
Pears
Grapefruit
Rhubarb (not a fruit)
Melon
Blackberries
Raspberries
Gooseberries
Plums

Since tomatoes really are fruits, I'm tossing them into my list. BUT only seasonally...

(I knew that, but they're sold in the veggie area here in the States.)

Back in 2014 or 13, my then-local supermarket expanded its produce area, and suddenly rare fruits began to appear. Rare at least to my area of the world.

I'd add in dragonfruit, to my list, too -- the other two in the photo didn't truly appeal to me.

Kiwano, cherimoya, dragonfruit.
010010.jpg

Back
Top Bottom