Twelve Favorite Fruits (at least today... ) ?

Since tomatoes really are fruits, I'm tossing them into my list. BUT only seasonally...

(I knew that, but they're sold in the veggie area here in the States.)

Back in 2014 or 13, my then-local supermarket expanded its produce area, and suddenly rare fruits began to appear. Rare at least to my area of the world.

I'd add in dragonfruit, to my list, too -- the other two in the photo didn't truly appeal to me.

Kiwano, cherimoya, dragonfruit.
View attachment 29592

Dragonfruit are very pretty indeed - but they are a bit style over substance I think. They don't have a lot of taste. I can't resist their designer look though!

1 Strawberries (local- Hammond, La.)
2 Ruston Peaches (from Ruston, La.)
3 Locally grown water melon (purchased from a roadside stand)
4 Cantelope (from my garden)
5 Tomatoes (from the garden)
6 Satsuma (from my tree)
7 Figs (fresh and Preserved from Mom's trees)
8 Bananas
9 Grapes
10 Avocado
11 Dew Berries (an early season black berry. Larger and sweeter than the later session Berries)
12 lemon

Let's see if I can come up with twelve:

Apples (so versatile)
Pears
Bananas
Pineapple
Grapes, I love grapes!
Plums (and by extension, prunes)
Lemons (especially as an ingredient)
Cherries
Blueberries (hard to get good ones)
Raspberries (black, red, and gold)
Oranges
Watermelon

One fruit that could disappear tomorrow and I'd be ok with: strawberries. I don't really care for them at all.

It's mid winter here, wife's still picking chillies. Unbelievable!! (Greenhouse)

Russ
I've got loads of plants and trees trying to flower including quince, rose, apple and pear. My rhubarb still has stems and leaves with younger growing. I've got lavender in flower and even my olive tree is trying to flower (it always flowers and tries to set fruit but fails. I think it's still too young). I've got native birds nesting in my garage thinking it's spring

I've got loads of plants and trees trying to flower including quince, rose, apple and pear. My rhubarb still has stems and leaves with younger growing. I've got lavender in flower and even my olive tree is trying to flower (it always flowers and tries to set fruit but fails. I think it's still too young). I've got native birds nesting in my garage thinking it's spring

My wife replanted all our strawberry plants (42) last weekend, at least half are flowering, that really is unbelievable. We had a frost today as well :)

Russ

This was surprisingly something I did have to think about, however I did end up with 12 easily.

1) Mangoes
2) Strawberries
3) Blueberries
4) Nectarines
5) Raspberries
6) Peaches
7) Watermelon
8) Oranges
9) Lemons
10) Apples
11) Dates
12) Fresh figs

I could do without Pineapple forever, I never liked it.

3) Blueberries
A lot of folk seem to like blueberries - and I'm thinking it must be the case that I've never eaten a decent blueberry because they seem rather tasteless to me. I'm sure the ones I've eaten are not grown here so maybe they simply aren't fresh.

A lot of folk seem to like blueberries - and I'm thinking it must be the case that I've never eaten a decent blueberry because they seem rather tasteless to me. I'm sure the ones I've eaten are not grown here so maybe they simply aren't fresh.
The ones we had in Finland whilst cycling down the east side of Finland were by far the best we'd ever eaten. They grow wild there in the swamp forests (literally named and fill of mozzies normally). The ones from supermarkets pale in comparison. Sadly supermarkets seem to go for size on a blueberry rather than taste. Supermarket ones are waterlogged, tasteless berries that stain your hands... wild blueberries have the most amazing taste. Think of a smaller, sharper tasting berry with the taste of 10 or so large supermarket berries packed into the size of half a supermarket berry and with the ability to stain anything and everything purple or blue and you'll have a small inkling of the difference.

Mind you even the crowberries and bilberries that grow in the Welsh mountains have more taste.

I wouldn't know, the ones I've had have always had a pretty distinct flavor so I can't really say what makes the difference!

The ones picked from the bush with the bear on the other side are extremely tasty!:okay:

Back
Top Bottom