Type of knife to cut avocados safely?

marchdesign

Local time
8:00 PM
Hi all,

Thanks for answering my question on avocado tools two weeks ago.

I came to learn that there are no tools better to cut avocados than using a sharp knife. Some suggested using a veg knife, some suggested using a long knife.

To avoid injury, what is your knife of choice to safely dissect the avocado?

Thanks,
Hugo

I use a heavy long chopping knife with weigh behind it. I want something sharp to cut the avocado skin easily and at the same time same weight to it so that it embeds itself into the avocado stone first time so that when I twist the knife, the stone comes out of the avocado first time and not the knife out of the stone. hitting into the stone more than twice leaves the stone damaged and trying repeatedly becomes unsafe in my experience. first (or second) time works a treat.

But not everyone will be comfortable handling such a Knife with an avocado.
Incidentally it is the same knife (only the back of it) that I use for opening coconuts as well.

I generally use one of my chef's knives but some may feel more comfortable with a different choice. The important skill in taking out the seed is concentration combined with knife skills and if your knife skills are lacking then concentrate more. Never take the motion for granted and always direct your time deseeding an avocado seriously.

I have a shorter santoku that looks like the one SatNav posted. Sharper the better so it doesn't put a dimple in the skin when you're trying to slice into it.

I have a santoku knife on order and a nikiri too. Both are taking forever to ship and seem to be locked in 'processing'. But the promised delivery date is Dec 21st, so ???

These are both Japanese versions of knives.

I have a santoku knife on order and a nikiri too. Both are taking forever to ship and seem to be locked in 'processing'. But the promised delivery date is Dec 21st, so ???

These are both Japanese versions of knives.
I'd say I reach for that Santoku knife 75% of the time (followed by paring knife 20%, and large chef's knife 5%). Definitely my favorite shape.

The santoku knife has become more popular and most now are hybrids of the original which suits most western customers. Basically it's replacing the chefs knife for home use mostly because it's easier to handle and generally not a long. Professional kitchens the chefs knife still dominates with other Japanese knives for specific jobs and most chefs will have a collection. Personally I can use 5 different Japanese knives over the course of a day depending on the job at hand, but my 9" Kikuichi is the one I use most often.

It is more the method than the knife. I use my Japanese chef knife. I set the Avocado on the cutting board, cut around the pit from stem to stern, twist the halves apart then use the chef knife blade, sharply hit the pit then twist to remove. I NEVER hold an avocado in my hand to remove the pit.

I'd say I reach for that Santoku knife 75% of the time (followed by paring knife 20%, and large chef's knife 5%). Definitely my favorite shape.

My Santoku knife, along with the Nikiri Knife, a big cutting/charcuterie board and a special knife sharpener are now getting near delivery. They were stuck in Carlisle, Pennsylvania for a while, but are now here, in southern California, a couple days away from delivery.

These knives, the board and sharpener are from Chicago Cutlery and are part of the Domain style of knives which is the set of Chicago Cutlery knives I own and have had for some time.

I got the board and the sharpener to qualify for free shipping. There was no sense tossing the money on shipping when I could get something tangible, instead.

I just received my santoku and nikiri knives. The nikiri knife has a palm plate.

I just received my santoku and nikiri knives. The nikiri knife has a palm plate.

I've never seen a Japanese knife with a full heel/bolster and I doubt you ever will. Anyway, I'm sure it will be fine for the vast majority of people.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom