Types of cheese for pizza

The OMWC

Local time
4:06 AM
Website
www.enjoyterracotta.com
[Mod edit: This post and following few moved to form a new topic (MG)]

Excellent! On any given day, that’s my favorite style of pizza. I’m lucky that I can get Widmer’s brick cheese here, as well as a few other brands, so I make it every so often (though I don’t have the blue steel pans for it, so I use a round cake pan!).
Every once in a while, brick shows up at the Cuba Cheese Shop, but it's not a reliable thing.

I did buy them out of raclette to make our signature pizzas for the party. The local pizzeria was nice enough to donate dough and the use of their ovens. Thin-sliced Yukon Golds tossed with olive oil, rosemary and salt, caramelized onions and porcini, raclette. Sorry, no photos, they got devoured within minutes of bringing them to the table.

Last edited by a moderator:
You're like some parents I know who secretly tell one of their multiple children that they are their favorite child and not to tell the others (and they do that with all of their children on a regular basis, LOL). I think you do that with pizza! :laugh:
NY style is my favorite, except when I want a thicker pizza, then Detroit style is my favorite, unless I want super thin and crispy, then Dayton’s own cracker crust pizza is my favorite, unless I want something that’s nearly as thin, but with a tangy cheese on it, then St. Louis style is my favorite, except in those cases when I want just a dusting of Parmesan and that’s it, then a Philly tomato pie can’t be beat, apart from those days when I want… 😬
I used to get paid to eat there. Sbarro.
This one is actually Phantom Pizza, though it used to be a Sbarro’s many years ago.

Now I have to ask what a 'frico' is!
I am going to guess it's like a fringe from the baked cheese, I have seen it in Mexico where they basically fry the cheese into a crispy, flat pancake of salty deliciousness. I have also seen it on burgers where the overload of cheese on top melted over and fried on the flattop grill.

Now I have to ask what a 'frico' is!
Detroit pizza is baked in a metal pan, like a cake pan, and the cheese goes all the way to the edge. Brick cheese has a lot of fat in it, and when it renders out, it helps brown the edges of the pizza, and the cheese browns as well, making an incredibly chewy border all around the pizza.

The crispy bits where the cheese contacts the pan. In a proper Detrout pizza, the cheese is brought all the way to the edge to form that lacy, crispy finish.

EDIT: Dammit, TR, you type way too fast!
You and TastyReuben are making me hungry for pizza! I was going to do leftovers tonight but I am thinking pizza now!

The crispy bits where the cheese contacts the pan. In a proper Detrout pizza, the cheese is brought all the way to the edge to form that lacy, crispy finish.

EDIT: Dammit, TR, you type way too fast!
It’s a true thing of beauty.

One of the best representations of "Detroit style" deep dish pizza is Jet's pizza. It's a bit pricy, but omg, the golden brown, crunchy garlic butter crust you get on the edges from cast iron pans that have been seasoned with literally thousands of uses is so amazing! I can't get enough.

One of the best representations of "Detroit style" deep dish pizza is Jet's pizza. It's a bit pricy, but omg, the golden brown, crunchy garlic butter crust you get on the edges from cast iron pans that have been seasoned with literally thousands of uses is so amazing! I can't get enough.
We can get Jet’s down here, it’s good.

Unfortunately, we can also get Little Caesar’s. :laugh:

Back
Top Bottom