Types of cheese for pizza

Holy shit, how did you do that? I've been researching parmesan crisps for the past few days and was going to make some. How did you do that? Are you a sorcerer?

I made them one accidentally. Hot non-stick pan and grated parm.

CD

20220813_214229.jpg

Scratch made raviolis with ricotta cheese, mozzarella and Fontina cheese, with parmesan and fresh thyme inside.

I'm afraid the availability of different types of cheese is limited here. Cheddar, Red Leicestershire, Lancashire, Gouda, Danish Blue and Mozzarella. I use the latter for pizza (because I'm boring).

Last edited:
I'm afraid the availability of different types of cheese in limited here. Cheddar, Red Leicestershire, Lancashire, Gouda, Danish Blue and Mozzarella. I use the latter for pizza (because I'm boring).
I like mozzarella too for pizza, also provolone or a blend of the two. Mozzarella is not boring, it's traditional and delicious. But we aren't making Detroit style, either.

I like mozzarella too for pizza, also provolone or a blend of the two. Mozzarella is not boring, it's traditional and delicious. But we aren't making Detroit style, either.

I also use mozzarella to make my pizzas. Usually low moisture shredded mozz, but sometimes I do a Margherita pizza with fresh mozz. I love the taste of fresh mozz, but the water content can make a crust soggy if you don't have a 900F/480C pizza oven.

CD

I also use mozzarella to make my pizzas. Usually low moisture shredded mozz, but sometimes I do a Margherita pizza with fresh mozz. I love the taste of fresh mozz, but the water content can make a crust soggy if you don't have a 900F/480C pizza oven.

CD
Yeah I love fresh mozzarella, too. I make caprese salad with it. I don't have a pizza oven so have never used it on pizza.

Most of my pizzas use whole milk mozzarella, with some grated Parmesan at the end. If I happen to have provolone, I’ll work a bit of that in. If I have some white cheddar, I’ll even use a little of that to add a little edge to the mildness of the mozzarella.

I’ll sometimes use fresh mozzarella, and I’ll squeeze the daylights out of it between some paper towels, just to get the moisture out, and that helps.

When you make the fricos/crusts, you have to watch them close to the end of cooking time because they can get too brown and not taste as good. I will eat them by themselves but also serve them with risotto and chicken cesar salad in particular. Craig will eat them but he'd rather have freshly shaved/grated parm.

When I use fresh mozz, I've been slicing, sprinkling with a bit of kosher salt, then placing between layers of paper towels and weighting a sheet pan and letting them sit for a half hour or longer.

I really like fresh moz that has been lightly smoked on a spinach, garlic, mushroom pizza. Our local Italian deli smokes small quantities of their fresh made moz and it has a delicate smoke taste versus the overpowering commercially smoked moz.

We use mainly tasty and Colby by the .500 GM block. We also buy swiss and parmesan.

Russ
I thought all cheese was tasty :laugh: (well except for a few that are just too strong or weird for me).

Back
Top Bottom