Types of cheese for pizza

I pretty much use mozzarella for pizzas and nothing else. Sometimes it´s that wonderful, fresh, creamy buffalo mozzarella - but most times, it´s that crappy grated mozz that comes from a block !
I´ve eaten pizzas with Cheddar, with blue cheese, goat´s cheese... to be honest, I´m a bit of a traditionalist, so mozzarella has to be there.

I pretty much use mozzarella for pizzas and nothing else. Sometimes it´s that wonderful, fresh, creamy buffalo mozzarella - but most times, it´s that crappy grated mozz that comes from a block !
I´ve eaten pizzas with Cheddar, with blue cheese, goat´s cheese... to be honest, I´m a bit of a traditionalist, so mozzarella has to be there.

I hear you. I am the same way.

CD

A couple comments:

Former Chicagoland resident. Deep dish may often be delicious (I was a member of the secret society of the loumalnati), but it is not pizza. I don't care how often it's labeled that way, it isn't.

Cheese type depends on what the pizza is going to be. For classic margherita, it's fresh mozz and no other cheese. Bufala is a nice touch.

My potato pizza uses Raclette, my peach pizza uses gorgonzola dolce (and is topped with arugula after baking), asparagus pizza uses chevre, and spinach pizza should use a blend of ricotta and ricotta salata. Alsace Muenster for tarte flambee, which isn't called a pizza but is.

Fight me.

A couple comments:

Former Chicagoland resident. Deep dish may often be delicious (I was a member of the secret society of the loumalnati), but it is not pizza. I don't care how often it's labeled that way, it isn't.

Cheese type depends on what the pizza is going to be. For classic margherita, it's fresh mozz and no other cheese. Bufala is a nice touch.

My potato pizza uses Raclette, my peach pizza uses gorgonzola dolce (and is topped with arugula after baking), asparagus pizza uses chevre, and spinach pizza should use a blend of ricotta and ricotta salata. Alsace Muenster for tarte flambee, which isn't called a pizza but is.

Fight me.
Omfg, I would love an entire wheel of raclette. I would melt it and then scrape it all in my mouth.

Omfg, I would love an entire wheel of raclette. I would melt it and then scrape it all in my mouth.
ALDI carry it around here, but it’s in little slices and half the time past its date and moldy.

I can get it at a big Kroger and a couple of the specialty places as well.

Oooh I love a fresh veggie and goat cheese pizza! Witha little mozzarella (of course) and some parm too.

I can't even wrap my head around cheddar cheese or blue cheese on a pizza.

Oooh I love a fresh veggie and goat cheese pizza! Witha little mozzarella (of course) and some parm too.

I can't even wrap my head around cheddar cheese or blue cheese on a pizza.
Cheddar cheese works well on a Midwestern classic, bacon-cheeseburger pizza, but even then, I think it’s better cut with some mozzarella.

Cheddar is one of those dirty little secrets that a lot of NY-style pizzerias don’t talk about - a lot of those places mix in a little white cheddar to add a slight tanginess to the otherwise extremely mild mozzarella.

Cheddar cheese works well on a Midwestern classic, bacon-cheeseburger pizza, but even then, I think it’s better cut with some mozzarella.

Cheddar is one of those dirty little secrets that a lot of NY-style pizzerias don’t talk about - a lot of those places mix in a little white cheddar to add a slight tanginess to the otherwise extremely mild mozzarella.
NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO on the bacon-cheeseburger pizza!

Okay, some sharp white cheddar might be alright on that NY pizza (though some sharp provolone would be more appropriate), what I don't know can't hurt me, right?

You know....pizza is just cheese bread without sauce and cheese bread is pizza with sauce. Doesn't that mickey you off? I feel ripped off.

wtf is mickey? Does he work here?

You know....pizza is just cheese bread without sauce and cheese bread is pizza with sauce. Doesn't that mickey you off? I feel ripped off.

wtf is mickey? Does he work here?
That dratted mickey. I love it when he turns people into peanuts.

Homemade pizza dough with mozzarella, fontina and feta with thin sliced red onion, cornmeal crust. brûléed with garlic butter in the crust.

20220816_191939.jpg

We make a pizza with fresh figs made into basically a jam, arugula and prosciutto. It uses fresh mozzarella and a small amount of blue cheese, enough to know it's there, but not over power. Craig really, really likes this pizza. I can take it or leave it, and it's the figgy jam that makes me feel that way.

Another pizza that I really like and Craig likes is a garlic oil brushed pizza dough with fresh mozzarella and pecorino romano topped with sweated leeks and thinly sliced porchetta (think like prosciutto thin), baked in a super hot oven or grill, then pulled out and 2 or 3 raw eggs placed around the pizza, yolks broken, and the pizza tilted around until the egg whites and yolks run everywhere and are basically pretty much cooked from the heat of the pizza. I've been thinking about making porchetta just so I can have leftovers to make this pizza.

I usually sprinkle some Parm R or Pecorino on any pizza with fresh mozzarella to punch it up a bit.

There's a flat bread I make sometimes. It uses fresh mozzarella, pecorino or parm if I don't have the pecorino, and red onions cooked with Pinot Noir and a touch of sugar until they are basically jammy, baked until the cheese melts, then arugula and thinly sliced prosciutto added (though I have been known to just leave that off and have a vegetarian flat bread).

Back
Top Bottom