Types of gravy and how to make them

crumbled American Italian sausage in it.

No, breakfast sausage, there is quite a difference!

Biscuits and gravy (and sausage gravy) is made with buttermilk biscuits.

CD

Can be biscuits made with milk or cream as well, not just buttermilk. And also pancakes to complicate even more. There was a restaurant where Craig's brother used to live that only was open for breakfast. They were famous for their sausage gravy and their specialty was over pancakes. No syrup. Hurricane Charlie took that restaurant.

Just to add to/complicate things:

Over here, sausages might be accompanied by an onion gravy. I've not heard of cream being added, but I can see that working.

The sausage here is bulk/loose pork sausage, browned and broken up in the skillet, like ground/minced beef might be browned and broken up for a dish.

So your biscuits and gravy would bechamel sauce and scones? I thought rascal ate weird breakfasts, but at least he dunks his biscuits in a mug of tea :laugh:

I thought I was perfectly clear: Our biscuits are like scones, but definitely not scones, and our scones are very much like scones, but not exactly like scones. But they're scones.

Make sense? :)

with crumbled American Italian sausage in it.
No, no, no. Close, but no. American breakfast sausage isn't Italian sausage. Not by a long shot. There are probably people who like to change things up and be edgy with it, but that would be far out of the norm.

If you had to pick one flavor profile for American breakfast sausage, it would be sage. Sage and pepper. That's what I taste more than anything else.

It's sold in one pound tubes, and it's either browned and crumbled in a skillet, or rounds are sliced off and fried.

Popular brands where I live are Bob Evans, Jimmy Dean, Weber's, Purnell, and Tennessee Pride, as well as a ton of locally-made brands. As the world is a much smaller place now, you'll find the big national brands have expanded into other varieties, including Italian, but that wouldn't be used for breakfast gravy normally. That's more for red sauce, on a pizza, lasagna, that kind of thing.

Our mashed potatoes topic turned into a gravy topic, which is turning into a sausage topic! :)

Okay, you are confused by our food, it appears.

Biscuits and gravy (and sausage gravy) is made with buttermilk biscuits. They do look like scones, but they are savory, not sweet. They are soft and crumbly. You split them in half and cover them in your gravy.

White gravy is basically a béchamel sauce made with flour and fat drippings from bacon or sausage, plus milk or cream -- and often with lots of black pepper. A sausage gravy is white gravy with crumbled breakfast sausage in it. Biscuits and sausage gravy is the best, IMO.

Biscuits with Sausage Gravy...

View attachment 40099

CD
Ah, thank you. Now I understand. I can see the appeal of that.

As if regional differences aren't confusing enough you will find different types or styles of gravy within a state. My home is 35 miles "as the crow flies" north of the Gulf of Mexico and pretty much dead center east to west. I never heard of a white gravy or sausage gravy until I was in my late teens. The first time I had either it was in North Louisiana. G is originally from Hammond, LA. Hammond is close to the same latitude but in the eastern part of the state, close to the LA - MS state line. His Mother made white gravy and sausage gravy. I grew up eating rice and gravy. The gravy was a brown made from pan drippings with or without a roux. It always had onions.

t from Berea (pronounced "Ber-rear"), the family lived in an unnamed hollow on Copper Creek, which, understandably, they just called Copper Creek. :)

I was born in Louisville, as were my parents, but my grandparents and other ancestors came from Clay or Fayette counties. I will have to look up the towns - not everything here is unpacked even though I moved in two years ago.

I have never heard the term "yellow gravy" used when referring to gravy made with chicken drippings. It was either chicken gravy or just gravy.

It may well be my personal term when I discovered that stuff upon going to college. It never tasted good, at any rate.

When I went to college - I LOST the Freshman 15. The food was nothing remotely like home cooking, so I simply wasn't able to eat more than what simply sustained life.

Confused yet?
Here is another one for you.
Red Eye Gravy - another southern gravy.
Two ingredients - the pan drippings from frying a slice of country ham in it's own fat and strong black coffee.
Want more? Mobile, AL has a huge Coca Cola manufacturing/bottling plant and distribution center. They make Red Eye Gravy with Coca Cola.

I was born in Louisville, as were my parents, but my grandparents and other ancestors came from Clay or Fayette counties. I will have to look up the towns - not everything here is unpacked even though I moved in two years ago.
Manchester is in Clay County. My dad and I sawed the timbers for a log home that a friend built. Hauled them all the way down to Manchester from Ohio, several trips.

There used to be a little hamburger joint in Manchester, looked like you were walking into a closed up junk store, but they were running a griddle in the back.

You'd go in, order a burger because that and fried bologna were about all they had, and while one of the family did that, the other would take your money, and the old man would sit up against the back wall, half-asleep, with a pistol in his lap, just to keep everything honest.

Red Eye Gravy - another southern gravy.
Two ingredients - the pan drippings from frying a slice of country ham in it's own fat and strong black coffee.
Oh, I've mentioned red eye on here more than once. 😋

Now, what about tomato gravy? That's another one you don't see much any more, unless you know where to look. :)

Back
Top Bottom