Unexpected aversions to a particular ingredient?

Morning Glory

Obsessive cook
Staff member
Local time
8:57 PM
I'm really not sure what to make of this. I've always rather liked mushrooms, but recently - maybe for the last two or three months, I've gone off them. I have to say this is the first time its ever happened (going off something) except for when I was pregnant. Then, there were all sorts of things I didn't fancy or which tasted odd. That is a normal thing and well documented. Well, I can safely say I'm not pregnant but every time I think of adding mushrooms to a shopping list, I cross them out again.

If I try to analyse why I find its complex. Its both texture and taste, so not one thing. I'm quite worried! Has anyone else experienced such a thing?

I go off things regularly, then I go back "on" them again later. I never really thought about it much. I just consider it a mood thing.

I had a real problem with scrambled and fried eggs for a while, though never hard boiled. Still have a little bit of an aversion, but at least the thought of them doesn't make me nauseous and I can eat them.

I go off things regularly, then I go back "on" them again later. I never really thought about it much. I just consider it a mood thing.

Its not mood - I get a bit of a turning stomach thought at eating mushrooms - yet I've liked them all my life!

I had a real problem with scrambled and fried eggs for a while, though never hard boiled. Still have a little bit of an aversion, but at least the thought of them doesn't make me nauseous and I can eat them.

Do you mean you suddenly had a problem after always liking them?

Only once ever. When I was about 6 years old, my family went to church one Sunday, other than me and one of my older sisters. She was watching TV and not paying attention to me. I went into the kitchen and found the box of chocolate covered cream-filled donuts. I ate 5-6 of them. I was dreadfully sick after. It was at least a decade before I could bring myself to eat them again.

Edited to add that it wasn't a singular ingredient and I guess it should have totally been expected by anyone other than a small child who didn't know better.

Discounting sudden food sensitivities - ie the majority of tree nuts...

This happened with peanuts, after wanting peanut butter sandwiches for nearly three years in grade school. Mother complied in making them. One day the aroma (read, stench) and taste got to me so that it took over 25 year before I could eat peanut butter in anything again. And I still won't put the stuff between two slices of bread. At least this no longer smells horrid, and I can eat homemade peanut butter cups and anything Asian that requires peanuts. I can even take spoonfuls of peanut butter from a jar of the quality type, without problem, these days.

Last edited:
I do have a problem with minestrone soup. I know this soup did not cause me to get violently ill at a summer job I had when in college. I think my trip home from work in Manhattan, NYC, when I had to leave is the thing I associate with the soup I'd had at lunch. Getting on a train, and discovering there was not a single bathroom open until the train started to move... and not enough time to get to a facility... To this day, although I know minestrone soup wasn't the fault - I cannot begin to think about eating that ever again.

Tequila, yes, LOL. When I was a bartender the smell of it made my stomach turn. I could never do shots with my friends because the smell of stale tequila stuck in my head. I will drink it in a very weak margarita occasionally when eating Mexican food, but I would rather have a beer.

Its not mood - I get a bit of a turning stomach thought at eating mushrooms - yet I've liked them all my life!
I see it as the same thing, I guess. I love black licorice, but I'll go through periods where just imagining the smell will make me dry heave.

It can be caused by several things, change in hormones, getting older, change in bowel microbiome and illness. So while it can be a sad thing, change of food preferences is natural. A course of antibiotics is one of the most frequent causes for this, because the gut microbiome influences what we want to eat.

My palate has changed significantly since I have lost my colon, while I still love food in general my preferences have come to align with what is best for my current bowel situation. I used to love salads, but because they cause averse reactions from my body now I rarely eat them. I eat much more cooked veggies and my preferences have shifted from disliking red bell peppers and zuchini/courgettes to making them my favorite vegetables. I also barely eat fruits with a lot of seeds though I used to love them, but I can stay on the loo all day if I eat too much of them. There is much more that changed, but this gives a general idea.

I'm really not sure what to make of this. I've always rather liked mushrooms, but recently - maybe for the last two or three months, I've gone off them. I have to say this is the first time its ever happened (going off something) except for when I was pregnant. Then, there were all sorts of things I didn't fancy or which tasted odd. That is a normal thing and well documented. Well, I can safely say I'm not pregnant but every time I think of adding mushrooms to a shopping list, I cross them out again.

If I try to analyse why I find its complex. Its both texture and taste, so not one thing. I'm quite worried! Has anyone else experienced such a thing?

My son and daughter are also like you. A couple of years ago they both loved them, now they don't. I asked my daughter when she first moved back here why, she said it comes and goes. I've always loved them, my wife bought some yesterday for me. She hates them too.

Russ

I am the same with prawns. Always loved them, but now I struggle to go anywhere near them especially when hot. I could probably manage an M&S prawn sandwich, but a prawn curry - no way.

My tastes have generally changed since the Covid lockdown. I think in part it's down to over indulgence, and part food weariness. Three months of unlimited cooking opportunities, three times a day, has taken its toll. I am still enjoying cooking, but I can't remember the last meal I actually looked forward to eating.

Back
Top Bottom