Unfortunately-named food products. Go!

vernplum

Veteran
Local time
6:03 PM
Here's something I saw in Tesco supermarket in the UK. I'm sure it's delicious, but...

IMG_9814.JPG

That is so weird because I was thinking of topics for new threads and this was one I thought of. And the reason I thought of it is because I have that exact same sauce in my cupboard! I was going to post the new thread today with a photo of the sauce!

I refer to Rapeseed Oil as Sexual Assault Oil. :eek: It is very common in Europe, but I've never seen it in any store in the US.

CD

I refer to Rapeseed Oil as Sexual Assault Oil. :eek: It is very common in Europe, but I've never seen it in any store in the US.

CD

You Americans are so funny. Rapeseed is a perfectly correct name for this plant and I honestly don't think we consider it offensive in the slightest. I think it was in Canada that the euphemism 'canola' was invented for rapeseed oil. The word rape has two different etymological roots:

rape (n.1)
early 14c., "booty, prey;" mid-14c., "forceful seizure, act of snatching by force; plundering, robbery, extortion," from Anglo-French rap, rape, and directly from Latin rapere "seize" (see rape (v.)). Meaning "act of abducting a woman or sexually violating her or both" is from early 15c. Late 13c. in Anglo-Latin (rapum).

rape (n.2)
kind of cruciferous plant (Brassica napus), late 14c., from Old French rape and directly from Latin rapa, rapum "turnip," which is cognate with Greek hrapys "rape," Old Church Slavonic repa, Lithuanian ropė, Middle Dutch roeve, Old High German ruoba, German Rübe "rape, turnip," perhaps a common borrowing from a non-IE word (de Vaan).

rape | Etymology, origin and meaning of rape by etymonline

CD
You would not want to buy an RV from "The Midwest's Largest RV Dealer" - Tom Raper! :laugh:

I think they actually changed the name after he died.

Back
Top Bottom