Unofficial Poll

I eat chicken almost everyday for a few months now. When it's not chicken it's some sort of fish. I cut out read meat as much as possible and my son keeps urging me on in that area. I also have bouts of pork or turkey mostly because of my husband, but chicken rules.
Every day, @winterybella !? :eek:You are topping the charts in this poll. Have you started clucking yet? :laugh: But seriously, I'm really surprised by the amount of chicken people are eating.

Well you have to consider all the forms chicken can be in. It is a food that is quite versatile. Even if it is chicken nuggets of diced chicken is salads it still counts as chicken.
Yes it is versatile and very cheap in the UK. But I've always been rather anti chicken because the poor things are killed so young (they are only 8 -10 weeks old usually). In the UK we can buy a whole chicken for as cheaply as £3 ($4). But it won't be Free Range. A good free range chicken will cost nearly double that.

Cholesterol is probably more a function of eating transfats, commercial baked goods and poor quality proteins. Stick margarine is one of the worst offenders. IF you aren't eating a lot of store baked products or potato chips and the like you probably are OK, unless it runs in your family. Some families have a heriditary problem with cholesterol and it raises regardless with menopausal women. However, getting it checked is only prudent. of course red meat and lunch meat is bad too.

I agree with all of this, except that I don't and never did eat a lot of commercial baked goods, I use only real butter, and only the VERY smallest amount I can possibly get away with. haven't eaten lunch meats or white breads in Years because they make me feel bad! I have whole grain breeds when I do eat bread. don't even eat eggs anymore only like egg beaters or all whites. don't eat much pork anymore and still too much beef but not as much as I used to. I am menopausal and that could be a big part of my problem. that and being too sedentary for too long. now going to the gym 3 days a week is helping GREATLY! I will have lunch meat once in a blue moon but I buy at Costco the uncured, no nitrites, no nitrates, low sodium, and no MSG lunch meats. and even then I eat 1 sandwich and I'm done. LOL have to freeze the lunchmeat.

Seriously...every day rhis week so far. In a stew curry or other, in a stir fry, breast prepared every which way and the list goes on. I just might be gowing feathers.

Well even though I am aware that people in my country eat lots of chicken, you come out on tops winterybella. I agree with cutting out the red meats though, and sticking with meats like pork, fish and turkey, in addition to the chicken. I would choose chicken above turkey though, as the latter is more expensive. Lately fish seems to have been climbing in price too, so I have not been buying any lately. I really hope the prices soon come back down as I really like my fish.

Our entire country are crazy for chicken. In Canada, Macdonalds reign supreme, here? Theres a KFC at every corner. Including our own local chicken chain stores called Mothers. So yes we eat chicken like crazy. Our family personally? We maybe eat it 3 times a week for dinner? Sometimes more depending on my leftovers. See usually have chicken. We eat it almost everyday in some form our another.

My gosh I think I probably eat some form of chicken every other day. I had fried chicken, barbecue, strips and filleted chicken just this week. Man oh man I think I should start buying fruits and vegetables now. It's just so hard not to have some protein in your diet.

Yes it is versatile and very cheap in the UK. But I've always been rather anti chicken because the poor things are killed so young (they are only 8 -10 weeks old usually). In the UK we can buy a whole chicken for as cheaply as £3 ($4). But it won't be Free Range. A good free range chicken will cost nearly double that.

Agreed. The poultry industry in the UK (and in most parts of the world) has long been dogged by appalling animal welfare standards, thus yielding very cheap meat. I must confess I used to balk at the cost of free range chicken when compared with supermarket birds, but a decent free range bird will usually have far more meat on it, so it doesn't actually cost twice as much. I no longer compare the cost with cheap chicken but with other decent cuts of meat, so a free range chicken compares favourably with a leg of lamb or a loin if pork for instance.

Agreed. The poultry industry in the UK (and in most parts of the world) has long been dogged by appalling animal welfare standards, thus yielding very cheap meat. I must confess I used to balk at the cost of free range chicken when compared with supermarket birds, but a decent free range bird will usually have far more meat on it, so it doesn't actually cost twice as much. I no longer compare the cost with cheap chicken but with other decent cuts of meat, so a free range chicken compares favourably with a leg of lamb or a loin if pork for instance.
Some say the free range birds taste better but to be honest I haven't noticed a great difference. I think the welfare standards are improved in this country. Although caged hens are still permitted for egg production in the UK, birds for the table are not kept in cages. To be honest, as the poor little things are only going to be alive for 33-38 days if kept indoors and a minimum of 58 days if free range, does it really matter that much? A chicken can live up to 10 years! And then there are capons. Virtually impossible to find in the UK.

Last edited:
I love chicken it is one of my favorite meals. I prefer the skinless boneless chicken breasts best of all. We usually have it a few times a month. We don't eat is near as often as I would like to but my husband prefers other meals. Chicken it quite expensive here but if we get a good sale on it we will have it more often.

I am a vegetarian since 2008. So no chicken for me. However my son eats chicken and so we cook chicken for him once or twice a month.

Commercial baked goods and processed boxed foods are high in cholesterol. If you see blotches on your eye lids you should have your cholesterol checked it is a sign of high cholesterol, this little skin discolorations can be seen on your eye lids close to your nose. I have one on eye lid, when I got my eyes examined the doctor told my that the cause of those discolorations spots was high cholesterol.

Commercial baked goods and processed boxed foods are high in cholesterol. If you see blotches on your eye lids you should have your cholesterol checked it is a sign of high cholesterol, this little skin discolorations can be seen on your eye lids close to your nose. I have one on eye lid, when I got my eyes examined the doctor told my that the cause of those discolorations spots was high cholesterol.
You've got as all squinting at our eyelids now, @Pat ! Mine seem to be blotch free. :D

We are meat eaters so I'm sure we have chicken at least once a week. In fact, fried chicken drumstick was our dinner last night with buttered broccoli for the chaser. However, when my cholesterol level is high, we shun meat even for a week and try to subsist on fish and vegetables only. Our best seller in chicken is the grilled chicken with our original recipe - marinade of tomato and salt. That simple. And with potatoes as add on, it is always a blockbuster in our house.

Back
Top Bottom