Unusual Kitchen Appliances and Gadgets

bb9947cb-cef8-49fc-bef2-e0fa0630db2b._SL300__.jpg

The Hutzler 571 Banana Slicer.

Available on Amazon.
The best thing about this gadget is both the Customer Q and A, and the reviews. So, scroll down.

Here's a gadget that appeared to be something I could use, - a strawberry stem puller/huller.

bc3e-226d6a8eaa44.c01121ca8757fef729a9d0e8162f0cac.jpg

Photo courtesy of Walmart.

The device can also be used to pull stems on tomatoes too. But although I've always had problems pulling out the hard stem from strawberries, after yanking off the leaves, this gadget seems to gouge out too much of the strawberry itself, leaving a big hole.

How many members knock the foam off their beers, before drinking the beer? I'm not a big fan of beer foam and so, this product doesn't make sense to me.

Olin Ultrasonic Beer Bubbler:

bc15-5f36cd0ca73a.e027250e04c6c3693c2bc121c59b8a85.jpg

Wondering if this would be useful for someone who wanted to, say, flash-freeze fish they just caught?
I've only seen it used for liquids and semi solids on the cheffy tv shows. Don't think it's meant to freeze food for storage.

Here's a gadget that appeared to be something I could use, - a strawberry stem puller/huller.

View attachment 75923

The device can also be used to pull stems on tomatoes too. But although I've always had problems pulling out the hard stem from strawberries, after yanking off the leaves, this gadget seems to gouge out too much of the strawberry itself, leaving a big hole.
That just takes way too much of the strawberry away for my liking!

I use a microplane. Smaller and less to clean up. The decent ones are stainless and just require a quick rinse. Plus, you can use them for citrus zest, chocolate, hard cheese, etc.
hubby doesn't like me using anything that's not held in place (so the slicer side of the box grater is fine) because of long term issues with my dominant hand (as in 11 operations in 15 years and some of those operations were 5 or 6 procedures in one go, each would have been day surgery but combined had me in hospital for 2×8 day stretches and a 7 day stretch. ) So if it needs 1 hand to hold it in place in anything other than 1 dimension (aka down) and steady and the other to move the veg or fruit, it's not going to work. I've had to adapt to my non-dominant hand doing things and also my coordination isn't great. I guess I'm saying could you safely use it with your left hand if you're right handed?

if I need to bulk slice things, I use the slicer(s) on the food processor. even a knife is lethal in my hands. I've 3 cuts on my hands right now just since coming out of hospital, plus a burn on my wrist and I've no idea where the scratches on my forearm came from!

Back
Top Bottom