Upright Charcoal Smoker

Mountain Cat

Veteran
Local time
9:58 PM
Website
goatsandgreens.wordpress.com
Yesterday, a friend gave me her unused upright charcoal smoker as she said she'd never use it as she doesn't have the time for outdoor "low and slow" cooking - her fulltime plus job and all. She'd been given it herself; it wasn't as she'd gone out and bought it.

It is in my car now, and will end up on my patio later, and I will order a cover for it.

Below is an image of one, but not my actual make or model. Have others here used them? I am considering a slow cooked and smoked turkey. I am also considering smoking pork (I am particularly fond of the South Carolina style of pork mustard BBQ. Or I really like Kansas City "burnt ends" from beef brisket). I'd been thinking anyhow of getting one of the fancier styles of horizontal smokers that could perhaps do a suckling pig, but, well, this one is free, and is here now!

charcoal smoker.jpg

Have people used wood instead or in addition to charcoal in one of these? Hickory or other wood flavorings would be nice....

Last edited:
I have an upright smoker, looks like a safe. It uses propane which I prefer. You can smoke just about anything and recently I've smoked butter, cheese, bacon and tomatoes as well as many kinds of protein. Have fun, cheers.

I have one like Garlichead mentions; propane for fuel source, but takes wood chips to generate the smoke.
A few suggestions:
  • Get a temperature probe (wired or wireless) because it will help you get familiar with the temperature range in your smoker and in the meat you are smoking. I have this one: The Original MEATER
  • Start with something simple and smaller that will cook "quickly" (relative term). For example you can smoke chicken thighs in 2 hours, but if you're doing a pork shoulder, it could be 6 hours.
  • Get a selection of wood chips so you can experiment: Applewood, pecan, mesquite... usually when you buy a bag of wood chips they will suggest wood-meat pairings. I like Applewood for fish and poultry.
Have fun!

I find that fire/heat management is more of a challenge than the actual recipe..but, trial and error will ensue and if you keep at it you will find a technique that will work for you and suit your needs..they are fun and rewarding

I have an upright smoker, looks like a safe. It uses propane which I prefer. You can smoke just about anything and recently I've smoked butter, cheese, bacon and tomatoes as well as many kinds of protein. Have fun, cheers.
Smoking butter? Hmmm,
I have one like Garlichead mentions; propane for fuel source, but takes wood chips to generate the smoke.
A few suggestions:
  • Get a temperature probe (wired or wireless) because it will help you get familiar with the temperature range in your smoker and in the meat you are smoking. I have this one: The Original MEATER
  • Start with something simple and smaller that will cook "quickly" (relative term). For example you can smoke chicken thighs in 2 hours, but if you're doing a pork shoulder, it could be 6 hours.
  • Get a selection of wood chips so you can experiment: Applewood, pecan, mesquite... usually when you buy a bag of wood chips they will suggest wood-meat pairings. I like Applewood for fish and poultry.
Have fun!
Thanks for the hints, and the link to the thermometer.

Back
Top Bottom