US Veterans Day, November 11th.

flyinglentris

Disabled and Retired Veteran
Local time
2:48 PM
Every year, Veterans Day is a big deal, because local businesses always step up and treat veterans to free services and meals. And surely, in the past, I have been fully up to accepting many of their offers, being stuffed by the end of the day.

Among the offers are free haircuts and car washes as well.

For the last couple years, I did not go out on Veterans Day and I will not this year either, due to the pandemic. :(

I just do not want the open exposure of eating in restaurants with no face mask on a day when crowds of veterans will be out with their families packing the restaurants full of people.

With the pandemic, Veterans Day as usual, is still a non-event.

I'll be going out, as most things are open here, either for inside dining or at least drive-through service.

My usual routine is Denny's for breakfast, Starbucks for coffee, Dunkin for a doughnut, Chili's or Applebee's for lunch, and Little Caesar's for supper.

I'll be going out, as most things are open here, either for inside dining or at least drive-through service.

My usual routine is Denny's for breakfast, Starbucks for coffee, Dunkin for a doughnut, Chili's or Applebee's for lunch, and Little Caesar's for supper.

Applebees has always been excellent on Veterans Day. Another favorite is California Pizza, one of the only pizza places that participates. Then, there is Red Lobster and a few other places that are great.

Denny's is usually open early to start out with, along with International House of Pancakes (IHOP).

Applebees has always been excellent on Veterans Day. Another favorite is California Pizza, one of the only pizza places that participates. Then, there is Red Lobster and a few other places that are great.

Denny's is usually open early to start out with, along with International House of Pancakes (IHOP).

I like California Pizza. They seem right up your alley.

CD

I could do Denny for breakfast, Starbucks for coffee, Dunkin for a donut, even Chili's for lunch -- the have good burgers. Applebee's and Little Ceasar's would be pushing the limits of what I would do for free food. :meh:

CD

I could do Denny for breakfast
I'm at Denny's right now. No pic, because as is usual, something always gets in the way of a "good" experience here.

This time, it was having my breakfast served in a linear fashion. I ordered two eggs, sausage links, hash browns, and toast, and I got the eggs and hash browns, then the sausage about 10 minutes later, then the toast about five minutes after that.

It doesn't make me mad, though. Every year, it's something like that, I've come to kind of look forward to it, and it's always fun trying to guess which way it's going to go wrong.

I'll give them this, though: it was the best prepared breakfast I've ever had here. Everything was just to my liking.

So, today, just a pic of my coffee:

Last edited:

I want the cheeseburger, but I'm going to be responsible and have the sirloin. :laugh:

It's noisy AF in here and bad weather is moving in. :eek:

I want the cheeseburger, but I'm going to be responsible and have the sirloin. :laugh:

Its most interesting that the sirloin comes in at 580 cals and the salad at a whopping 1580 cals! Even the grilled chicken salad option is 1450 cals. And as far as I can see there is no mayo in the salad to account for the high cals.

Its most interesting that the sirloin comes in at 580 cals and the salad at a whopping 1580 cals! Even the grilled chicken salad option is 1450 cals. And as far as I can see there is no mayo in the salad to account for the high cals.

Restaurant salads are deceptive. CD

CD

Back
Top Bottom