Using Kaffir Limes and Leaves

I think the fruit is bitter and not intended to be eaten as it. I see some leaves being sold on groceries that are packed in small sealed wraps but they are about to wilt. I know these are Kaffir lime leaves as shown on their labels but I never had tried them yet. My friend used these leaves to flavor a dessert she made but I am not one hundred percent sure if they are Kaffir

View attachment 1444I am guessing this 'key lime' is what I have. Here are my limes from my yard/garden along with some other goodies produced right at home.View attachment 1445 So Caribbean girl is going to have to come along and help me out with this fancy named Kaffir and Makrut. Come to think of it I should be the authority since as they say in my country "I was raised by the land" meaning it's what fed and cared for me coming up as a child as my folks were farmers and planted just about everything. I have a sneaky feeling we call that lime a lemon around here.
Your photo looks like an ordinary lime. But @winterybella, don't you know of Bajan seasoning? Maybe you all buy that ready-made in packets in Barbados. But I'm guessing that if its made there then the Makrut lime is grown there.

Your photo looks like an ordinary lime. But @winterybella, don't you know of Bajan seasoning? Maybe you all buy that ready-made in packets in Barbados. But I'm guessing that if its made there then the Makrut lime is grown there.

I believe I might have seen the Makrut just perhaps by another name like maybe lemons. I'll ask around. Bajan seasoning in it's truest form is when "your mom" (not "young" moms, like me, we are too lazy) gets all the fresh herbs and spices and mixes them together either chopping or in more recent times using a blender or food processor and produces your own home made seasoning. The lazy crowd would usually pick up the less flavourful bottle or packaged seasoning from the supermarket.

Chantal had asked about the leaves, but I'll have to ask if anything is done with the lime leaves in my case. I don't know a single person with a lemon tree around here. They are just not that common and pretty expensive when you see them in the supermarket.

No its not used in curry powder. Its just the leaves that are used whole (as far as I'm aware). They release a delicious nutty flavour. Not at all bad! They have a affinity with lentils and are also often added to curries of all kinds. Here a recipe for lemon rice with curry leaves: http://www.bbc.co.uk/food/recipes/lemonrice_86737 If you have access to a bush then perhaps you could liberate a few leaves to try!

Hmmm... have you ever tasted the leaves fresh on their own? I looked at the tree when I was at work last, and I'm sure it's the same plant. It just smells so bad I can't imagine using it in my food in any way. Liberating the leaves is not a problem at all, as we have three small trees and no one seems to be interested in them. We also have a couple moringa trees.

I had to Google this and came up with a Chinese basketballer. Turns out I had left the e off of the lime. Anyway, I have a lime tree(two but one doesn't produce), but it certainly isn't Keifer or Kaffir. My limes are some small ones with lots of juice and good for some lemonade on these beastly hot day. Since I clean all meats with lime and salt (a thing in our country), they are also used for that. Some of fish recipes also call for lime and I am yet to try some in my baking.

I wonder if your limes are key lime. They are much smaller than "regular" ones. My mother has a key lime tree that hasn't been very productive of late. I told her to try giving it molasses to see what happens. I don't eat meat, but I like using citrus with fish. I'll have to try that with limes when I get back into cooking on a regular basis. On a side note - had some ceviche for lunch yesterday that was sooooo good!

Do you work you work in a garden centre, @ChanellG ?

Yes! I've been there for a few months now and I wish I'd thought of doing it twenty years ago! It's the best environment for someone like me. Of course my own garden is suffering for lack of attention, but it is also growing in plant variety :happy:

11949523_10207117874242932_7217930982014614673_n.jpg

11951252_10207101292148390_4039981784447799683_n.jpg

11895996_10207004480128150_5472856213362416615_n.jpg

I think you are in a wonderful environment ChanellG. It's like the Garden of Eden if you believe in that story. It's very curative I think. So it follows that these leaves bad smelling even, must be good for something if not everything.
You have Moringa trees? I am surprise any are left. People have been speaking of that like it's the thing that replaced Jesus with it's healing powers. I actually have two lime trees but one has never produced anything. My husband says he'll soon cut it down.

I think you are in a wonderful environment ChanellG. It's like the Garden of Eden if you believe in that story. It's very curative I think. So it follows that these leaves bad smelling even, must be good for something if not everything.
You have Moringa trees? I am surprise any are left. People have been speaking of that like it's the thing that replaced Jesus with it's healing powers. I actually have two lime trees but one has never produced anything. My husband says he'll soon cut it down.

Where did the lime trees come from, Bella? If they were from a cutting it could be the reason. How many years have you had them? Depending on size, you could always graft a limb from the tree that does produce onto the ones that don't.

The more I read about the nutritional value of Moringa and how easy they are to grow, the more I think of getting one. I think someone I know may be growing it already. I remember being given some leaves to try from a plant that sounded a lot like moringa from the description.

Back
Top Bottom