Using sous vide to decrystallize honey

I'm taking my own thread off-topic, but try steak again, when using a thicker cut. If you like medium-rare, you get it from edge to edge. A quick, hot sear puts a thin crisp layer on the outside that tastes great. Here is a fairly inexpensive sirloin, but I use it regularly for coice and prime cuts, like ribeye and tenderloin.

View attachment 31385

CD

Yes, definitely one needs a thicker cut.

I prefer medium-rare, yes. Unfortunately the meat share beef I've been getting hasn't been thick enough for the ribeye to shine with sous vide. I think a sirloin of proper thickness will work wonders.

I bought a sous vide a year and a half ago. I've not used it for honey but I can see just putting the jar in a pot of hot water and keeping the temps low enough can work for that. I don't have any need for crystalized honey - I usually need to measure out a tablespoon or so, and therefore do want it liquid for that.

I only buy local honey - much of the commercial stuff has dodgy backgrounds. And, not being a sweet tooth, I really don't eat it much.

I've discovered that I really like sous vide for chicken breast - you can find just the right temperature that the meat is COOKED, and before it turns tastelessly dry - and the whole thing can be cooked to the same temp, so you aren't overcooking the exterior to get the interior done right.

For steaks - only works if the steaks or roasts are tough, or if they are very thick - browning them after seems to defeat the point in sous viding a thin tasty tender steak. I was also not impressed with my salmon sous vide experiment. It tasted good... but why bother when pan frying them or baking them is just so much easier and at least as good?
Totally agree with that. In the time taken to reverse sear a steak or fillet of fish it's cooked anyway. It can be a good way to concentrate flavours though, particularly with something like salmon where you don't need to sear it afterwards.

Back
Top Bottom