Valentine’s Day 2024

My dad is religiously opposed to Christmas, so once a year, sometime between, oh…the 20th and 27th of December, we send my folks a “just saw these and thought you might like them” box of treats.

We don’t mention it, they don’t mention it, and it works! :laugh:
That's lovely though 😊 glad that works.

I just give my husband romantic gifts at other times of the year, which I sometimes bought around Valentines 😆

Saint Valentine was a Roman priest (therefore pagan) who married Christian people against the wishes of the Roman authorities.
Anyway, who cares? Feb 14th is an excuse for doing something special with your wife/husband/partner/whatever...
As if we needed an excuse!
If I tell my husband it's tied to a Roman priest that won't help because the one thing he hates more than capitalism is the Catholic church 😆

I kind of gave up on it about 30 years ago when my other half started calling it "Steak and Bl*w Jo* Day"
As you can imagine this renaming spread like wildfire amongst his men friends who heartily embraced the concept and annoyed the living daylights out of my girl friends who were just hoping for a card, an I love you and to maybe not cook dinner that evening 😮😂

My husband used to be active for the communist party and while he's no longer a commie he's still anti capitalist so he's annoyed out of principle if I would get him something for the commercial nonsense

Wouldn’t a good communist want everyone to get a Valentine’s Day gift?

My wife’s birthday is February 14. When we started dating, we went for dinner at a nice restaurant. And, of course, so did everyone else. The service was terrible because the restaurant was packed. The food probably would have been good, but it was served cold.

This was only weeks after we started dating, and our relationship survived. But, we decided to have her birthday dinner on Saturday from now on. Except, of course, on years when Valentine’s Day falls on a Saturday. 🙄

This sounds bad, but this actually works out really well for her: she picks where we go to eat on the Saturday before and after Valentine’s Day now. :laugh:

My wife’s birthday is February 14. When we started dating, we went for dinner at a nice restaurant. And, of course, so did everyone else. The service was terrible because the restaurant was packed. The food probably would have been good, but it was served cold.

This was only weeks after we started dating, and our relationship survived. But, we decided to have her birthday dinner on Saturday from now on. Except, of course, on years when Valentine’s Day falls on a Saturday. 🙄

This sounds bad, but this actually works out really well for her: she picks where we go to eat on the Saturday before and after Valentine’s Day now. :laugh:
I have Mother’s Day the week after the real day for the same reasons. It also gives the disorganised male element involved in making a Mother’s Day booking happen a weeks grace when they inevitably forget 😂

Last night we went to M&S to look at their Valentines meal offer, the worst it has been for many years. Basically prawn cocktail starter, steak and chips main, dessert was profiteroles, tiramisu or lemon sphere things, a couple of bland looking veggie options but that was it, even the packaging looks cheap.

Last night we went to M&S to look at their Valentines meal offer, the worst it has been for many years. Basically prawn cocktail starter, steak and chips main, dessert was profiteroles, tiramisu or lemon sphere things, a couple of bland looking veggie options but that was it, even the packaging looks cheap.
Try Waitrose, 8 starters, 13 mains, 9 sides, 9 puds and 13 alcohol choices (mostly wine or cocktails). About 40 quids worth for 20.

Back
Top Bottom