Valentine's Day: romantic or cynic?

First years together celebrated. Then after one too many pricey flower arrangements that were drooping the next day and over priced mediocre meals in packed restaurants, we both agreed - NO MORE. If We need a holiday to show our appreciation / love something isn't right😉😉.. CYNIC

There was the year that Dad gave Mom the promise of a weekly bouquet of flowers (as a Christmas gift), but he made an exception for the weeks of Valentines and Mother's Day. Because he knew the flowers would be both shoddy and overpriced.

I don't think they ever went out to dinner on Valentines' day, at least not since I was old enough as a child to observe them.

Last edited:
We buy each other a card and invest in good quality food, wine and a few chocolates and have a quiet night in.
Absolutely!! Going out on VD is a sucker's move....over-priced and over-booked! We share KP duty and have fun making a special meal at home. And splurge on an extra-fine wine (and a split of bubbly for me).

This year we bought a locally raised rack of lamb....the jury's out on whether it will be good or not. Most Mexican meats are far too lean to be tender, but other expats have recommended this lamb. For dessert, there is a Belgium expat chocolatier whose bars are divine (and cheap!) We will melt down his candied ginger bars and turn into truffles. EZ PZ.

KP = Kitchen Patrol
Its origin is in US military. As in, "I ticked of the Sergeant and now I'm on KP duty for two weeks." It is used commonly among civilians, too.

KP = Kitchen Patrol
Its origin is in US military. As in, "I ticked of the Sergeant and now I'm on KP duty for two weeks." It is used commonly among civilians, too.

I'll remember that. Probably not so common in the UK hence my not knowing. :okay:

Let us know how the rack of lamb is...

Since MrsTasty doesn't cook at all, she's more than happy to stay home for a good meal, while I'm usually the one wanting to go out, to get a break from cooking. When we do go out, it's usually a couple of days before or a couple of days after, to avoid the rush.

In nearly 11 years of active military service, I pulled KP exactly once, while I was in basic training, and yes, just like the old comic strips describe, I (and two other trainees) had to peel a buttload of potatoes.

The other two had never peeled a potato before and were slow and clumsy, so I ended up peeling about 80% of the lot, and without much waste, and when the kitchen sergeant saw the work, he let me know that if I wanted to change my specialty to Dining Services, he could see about doing that, on the condition that I'd be staying there in San Antonio.

I respectfully declined. :)

Back
Top Bottom