Recipe veg masala khichdi recipe

swalia

Veteran
Local time
1:34 PM
vegetable masala khichdi recipe - spiced khichdi made with mung lentils, rice and mixed veggies.

INGREDIENTS (measuring cup used, 1 cup = 250 ml)
  • ⅓ cup broken rice or any regular rice
  • ⅓ cup moong dal/mung lentils
  • 1 tbsp ghee
  • ½ tsp cumin seeds/jeera
  • 1 small to medium tej patta
  • ½ inch cinnamon/dalchini
  • 2 cloves/lavang
  • 2 green cardamoms
  • 1 medium onion, chopped or ⅓ cup chopped onion
  • 1 tsp ginger garlic paste or 3 to 4 medium garlic and ½ inch ginger, crushed to a paste in mortar-pestle
  • 1 small to medium tomato or ¼ to ⅓ cup chopped tomatoes
  • 1 or 2 green chilies, chopped
  • 1 to 1.25 cups mixed chopped veggies
  • ¼ tsp turmeric powder/haldi
  • ¼ tsp red chili powder/lal mirch powder
  • a pinch of asafoetida/hing
  • 2 cups water
  • a few chopped coriander leaves for garnish, optional
  • salt as required

INSTRUCTIONS
  1. take rice and moong dal in a bowl. rinse with water for a couple of times. drain and keep aside. also chop the veggies and keep aside.
  2. heat 1 tbsp ghee or oil in a pressure cooker.
  3. add the following garam masala or whole spices - ½ tsp cumin seeds, 1 small to medium tej patta, ½ inch cinnamon, 2 cloves, 2 green cardamoms. saute till the spices crackle and become fragrant.
  4. add ⅓ cup chopped onion and saute them till they turn translucent.
  5. add 1 tsp ginger garlic paste. stir and saute till the raw aroma of ginger-garlic goes away.
  6. add ¼ to ⅓ cup chopped tomatoes and 1 to 2 green chilies (chopped). saute for a minute or two.
  7. then add 1 to 1.25 cups mixed chopped veggies along with ¼ tsp turmeric powder, ¼ tsp red chili powder and a pinch of asafoetida. for a more spicy khichdi, add ½ tsp red chili powder. saute for a minute.
  8. add the rice and moong dal. mix the rice and moong dal with the rest of the ingredients.
  9. add 2 cups water. this much amount of water gives a khichdi which has a consistency not like a porridge, but not even dry like a pulao. for a more liquid consistency, you can increase the amount of water to 2.5 to 3 cups.
  10. season with salt. pressure cook for 14 to 15 minutes or for 7 to 8 whistles. when the pressure falls down on its own, remove the lid.
  11. serve vegetable masala khichdi hot drizzled with a teaspoon of ghee if you prefer. accompany a side veggie salad, raita, pickle or plain curd by the side. you can garnish with a few chopped coriander leaves if you want.
Recipe courtsey: http://www.vegrecipesofindia.com/vegetable-masala-khichdi-recipe/
veg-masala-khichdi-recipe.jpg

I am curious, Swalia....

When you use the term, 'broken' rice above, is this rice broken somehow yourself, or by the producer/farmer/manufacturer? Also, how is it broken, and what is the purpose of doing this to it? I have never heard of it or seen it in our grocery stores before here in Canada, but perhaps I just have not looked at our rice sections close enough. It sounds interesting. Does it cook and act in the same manner as an un-'broken' version when used?

I am curious, Swalia....

When you use the term, 'broken' rice above, is this rice broken somehow yourself, or by the producer/farmer/manufacturer? Also, how is it broken, and what is the purpose of doing this to it? I have never heard of it or seen it in our grocery stores before here in Canada, but perhaps I just have not looked at our rice sections close enough. It sounds interesting. Does it cook and act in the same manner as an un-'broken' version when used?

Broken rice is a grade of rice consisting of grains broken in the milling process. It is sold in the market. Since it's cheaper than the regular good quality rice, it is quite in demand here. Broken rice is cooked in the same way as the regular rice.

Back
Top Bottom