Recipe Vegan Orange Glazed Tofu

SatNavSaysStraightOn

Staff member
Local time
11:16 PM
Website
www.satnavsaysstraighton.com
I'm putting this into the sauces forum because the sauce could easily be used by anyone, not just a vegan or someone serving it with tofu. There are plenty of other exceptionally similar to identical recipes out there for the same sauce.

I've taken this recipe from Vegan Richa. I only made a few minor modifications to the ingredients but did radically change the cooking method because my Vitamix has a "hot soup" setting which I utilised.

The cornflour I refer to is UK terminology (white & used for thickening) and is US cornstarch. The use of honey will means its no longer vegan, which may or may not be an issue for you.

The recipe will need additional foods such as rice and vegetables adding to complete a meal.

Ingredients - Tofu
400-450g pack of extra-firm tofu
2-4 tbsp cornflour
1-2 tsp rice flour
¼-½ tsp garlic powder
¼-½ tsp onion powder
Plenty of ground pepper
Paprika, hot paprika, chilli powder or even curry powder can also be used in the coating if you fancy. Quantity ¼-½ tsp to taste

Ingredients - Sauce
6 cloves of garlic (more if you like)
Generous 1 inch of ginger crushed/milled
2 tbsp tamari soy sauce
2 tbsp rice wine vinegar
250 ml fresh orange juice
zest of 1 orange
3 tbsp maple syrup, agave nectar, rice syrup or even brown sugar
2 tbsp cornflour dissolved in 50-75ml of water or more orange juice
Upto 1 tsp sriracha or even a red chilli (with or without seeds). Adjust quantities to suit your taste

Method - Tofu
  1. Pre heat the oven to 200°C (400°F). You'll want a ceramic or glass ovenproof flat dish, not a metal roasting tin or baking tray.
  2. Prepare the tofu by draining, the cut into 1½cm thick slices and press to drain. The drier you make the tofu, the chewier the end result will be, so bare that in mind. Then cut into I½cm sized cubes.
  3. Toss all of the dry ingredients into a reusable zip lock plastic bag (or a bowl and plate), add the drained tofu and seal the bag with plenty of air inside. Shake well. Turn the tofu out into the ceramic flat bowl, ideally only 1 layer deep and bake for 35-45 minutes, turning the tofu half way through the cooking time.
Method (1) - Sauce
  1. If you have a blender than can cook the sauce, this is really easy. Toss all sauce ingredients into the blender jug, put the lid on and press the hot soup setting and let the blender do is job. As the cornflour cooks you'll see the colour of the sauce change from opaque to clearer brown. If the sauce isn't thick enough you can add another tablespoon of cornflour and blend thoroughly again (just run another hot soup cycle).
  2. Ensure you pour the sauce over the cooked tofu as soon as the sauce is ready and serve immediately.
Method (2) - Sauce
  1. Lacking a suitable blender, you'll need to make the sauce in a small saucepan. You'll also need to mince/crush all of the garlic, ginger, orange zest and chillies if using. If you have a spice mill or mini chopper/food processor I'd suggest using that to make a puree from the fresh spices (ginger, garlic, orange zest & chillies). Otherwise very finely dice/grate and then chop the ginger, garlic, orange zest and chilli.
  2. Add all of the sauce ingredients to the saucepan and whist stirring constantly bring to a simmer and cook for several minutes to cook the cornflour. If the sauce isn't thick enough, 1 remember it will thicken as it cools and if that's not enough add in another 1tbsp of cornflour dissolved in a couple of tablespoons of orange juice or water and quickly stir to prevent lumps forming. Cook the sauce again, stirring all of the time.
  3. Remove from heat, and ensure you pour the sauce over the cooked tofu & any other vegetables as soon as the sauce is ready and serve immediately over rice, with finely chopped spring onions and or a sprinkling of sesame seeds.

I kept the peas and carrots separate in this photo but they would easily have mixed into the sauce

I like the looks of that recipe. I'm thinking some diced chicken would work instead of tofu.

BTW, for the Mercans here, corn flour is what we call corn starch. She made a corn starch slurry as a thickener to the sauce.

CD

Back
Top Bottom