Vegan Sandwich Fillings

SatNavSaysStraightOn

Staff member
Local time
1:31 AM
Website
www.satnavsaysstraighton.com
The title pretty much says it!

What are your favourite vegan sandwich fillings (assuming you have managed to find vegan bread and margarine in the first place!).

Top of my list probably comes
  • My homemade cashew nut cheese with a cumin base
  • Hummus
  • Peanut (or any nut for that matter) butter
  • Jam (but be careful of homemade jams which can have butter added to them)
  • Falefals cut up (usually shop bought because I have yet to find a really tasty homemade recipe for them)
  • Homemade Bean pâté.
Does anyone else have any ideas?

Last edited:
Why would anyone add butter to jam? I've only made a fruit preserve once, and all I added was sugar. I may have also added water to keep it from being too syrupy, but I can't remember now. I'm not strict about things being vegan, so I've only used "regular" bread. I also am not crazy about veggie cheese (some still uses casein), but I love avocado and I've had a pita taco that used hummus (I hate mayo) with cucumber and lettuce and I forget what else. Roasted vegetables make a great sandwich!

Why don't you experiment with creating your own falafel recipe?

Why would anyone add butter to jam?
it is an old housewives trick to stop the jam foaming. Taught to me by my Grannie. Luckily manufactured jam tends to have other ingredients to stop foaming...
I'm allergic to all dairy so have to be really careful about things like that and lots of regular bread and almost all regular margarine contain dairy in the UK...

it is an old housewives trick to stop the jam foaming. Taught to me by my Grannie. Luckily manufactured jam tends to have other ingredients to stop foaming...

Wow, I never knew that! I don't eat jam and I've never thought much about what's in it. I used to like jelly on toast as a kid, or in a peanut butter sandwich, but I rarely consume it anymore. I wonder what the manufactured jam has that prevents foam. Do you have any idea of what causes foaming in the first place? Or why butter stops it?

The title pretty much says it!

What are your favourite vegan sandwich fillings (assuming you have managed to find vegan bread and margarine in the first place!).

Top of my list probably comes
  • My homemade cashew nut cheese with a cumin base
  • Hummus
  • Peanut (or any nut for that matter) butter
  • Jam (but be careful of homemade jams which can have butter added to them)
  • Falefals cut up (usually shop bought because I have yet to find a really tasty homemade recipe for them)
  • Homemade Bean pâté.
Does anyone else have any ideas?
well I will add guacamole to the list, especially for veggie sandwiches, or with tofu bacon. Of course I would add a vegan mayonnaise to the list, "just Mayo" is pretty good.

Back
Top Bottom