2 cups (500ml) vegetable stock, divided
1 teaspoon Vegemite
1/2 cup dry lentils
1/4 cup pearl barley
1 large carrot, diced
1/2 onion, finely diced
1/2 cup walnuts, coarsely chopped
3 potatoes, diced
1 teaspoon plain flour
1/2 teaspoon water
1 pinch salt and pepper, to taste
- Preheat oven to 180 degrees C.
- In a large saucepan over medium-low heat combine 315ml stock, vegemite, lentils and barley. Simmer for 30 minutes.
- Meanwhile; in a medium saucepan combine remaining 185ml stock, carrot, onion and walnuts then cook until tender; about 15 minutes.
- Meanwhile; bring a large saucepan of salted water to a boil. Add potatoes and cook until tender but still firm; about 15 minutes. Drain and mash.
- Combine flour and water then stir into carrot mixture; simmer until thickened. Combine carrot mixture with lentil mixture and season with salt and pepper. Pour mixture into a 1 litre casserole dish. Spoon mashed potatoes over lentil mixture.
- Bake in preheated oven until lightly browned on top; about 30 minutes.