Vegetarians ,are they all meat free

was listening to a late night discussion on the local radio ,the fact that a lot of vegetarians turn to meat on a alcohol fuelled night out ,it's received a lot of press
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/ukn...rians-eat-meat-when-drunk-on-a-night-out.html
I'm sure @SatNavSaysStraightOn would never succumb to such things. My fall from grace was when I used to accompany a rock band on the road, back in the day (call me a groupie if you must). I was a committed vegetarian from age 11 but gave it all up aged 18 (4 am in a roadside Cafe somewhere off the M1). Yup! the smell of bacon frying.

My neighbour is vegetarian, but on occasion she would eat beacon. I don't think she has had that in quite a while though

I've never really had much red meat. I was brought up in my early years on free school meals (loved the kidney in steak and kidney pie, would swap the steak for kidney with any of the kids on my table) and tinned soup with grated cheese in it for extra protein, my mother often not sitting at the table with us - I now realise she wasn't eating because we simply didn't have the food on the table for her and 2 kids, but then I was to young to know.

There has only been a couple of times I have eaten meat since becoming vegetarian and they were whilst we were cycling around the world. The first time in Poland and a couple of times in Serbia. Poland was an exceptionally well done piece of pork chop. The guy running the pub we stopped at that had rooms available must have been a trained chef. It was getting late, already dark and there was nowhere we could pitch a tent and we were out of food as well. He never asked what we wanted and with a total lack of language skills between us he managed to convey that we should be at the table at 7pm when he simply served us an excellent meal of pork chops and chips with some veg (we had heard him leave the guesthouse, return sometime later and start banging away in the kitchen). My husband informed me that the pork was as good as it got in the name of pork and I have to say it was amazingly tender just falling apart as I cut into it. It was also very tasty. I would never have chosen it, I wouldn't chose it again but it was nice. Enjoy, no but that was more my issues with eating it given I had never had pork chops before and it was the first time on our tour that I had had no option but to eat meat.
Serbia was another matter entirely. I continually had to remove bacon or ham from omelettes and on one occasion ended up with BBQ chicken legs and chips. I ate more chips and veg than chicken, only picking at it to confirm it was awful! And there is nothing in the world that will ever convince me that (white) salmon should go in an omelette :sick:.

Would I eat meat when drunk? No. Bacon does nothing for me at all. Fried onions on the other hand are a totally different matter!

Would I eat meat again? Only if I absolutely had to and I would want that guest house owner from Dyñow in Poland to be the cook!

Last edited:
I'd bet most of them were meat eaters to start with. Some people like it and others don't. My oldest niece was a very picky eater from birth, and is a vegan now.

Back
Top Bottom