Recipe Veggie Chili

Local time
3:10 PM
Last weekend I went on a cooking spree and made a huge pot of the Pioneer Woman's Veggie Chili. It is delicious and great for the cooler days. One batch has provided us with enough for 2 dinners plus multiple lunches. It's like the never-ending pot of chili! Here's the recipe so you can enjoy it too:

• 2 Tablespoons Olive Oil
  • 4 cloves Garlic, Minced
  • 1 whole Large Onion, Diced
  • 1 whole Red Bell Pepper, Seeded And Diced
  • 1 whole Yellow Bell Pepper, Seeded And Diced
  • 1 whole Green Bell Pepper, Seeded And Diced
  • 2 whole Carrots, Peeled And Diced
  • 2 stalks Celery, Diced
  • 1 whole Jalapeno, Seeded And Finely Diced
  • 3 cups Vegetable Broth (can Sub Chicken Or Beef Broth If You Prefer)
  • 1 can (12 To 14 Ounces) Plain Tomato Sauce
  • 1 can (10 Ounce) Rotel (diced Tomatoes And Chiles)
  • 1/2 teaspoon Salt, More To Taste
  • 1 teaspoon Ground Oregano
  • 1 Tablespoon Ground Cumin
  • 2 Tablespoons Chili Powder (more To Taste)
  • 1 can (14 Ounces) Kidney Beans, Drained And Rinsed
  • 1 can (14-ounce) Pinto Beans, Drained And Rinsed
  • 1 can Garbanzo Beans, Drained And Rinsed
  • 1 can Black Beans, Drained And Rinsed
  • 1 whole Large Zucchini (or 2 Medium Zucchini), Diced
  • 1/4 cup Masa (corn Flour) Or Regular Cornmeal
  • 1/2 cup Warm Water
  • Cotija Cheese, For Serving (optional)
  • Pico De Gallo, For Serving (optional)
  • Cilantro Leaves, For Serving (optional)
In a large pot, heat the oil over medium heat. Add the garlic, onion, 3 colors of bell pepper, carrots, celery, and jalapeno, then cook for about 5 minutes, stirring occasionally, until starting to soften. Add the oregano, cumin, chili powder, and salt. Stir and cook for a few more minutes.

Pour in the broth, tomato sauce, and Ro-tel. Stir, bring to a boil, then reduce the heat to low, cover, and simmer for 30 minutes. Add the beans and zucchini, stir, then cover and simmer for 30 more minutes.

Mix the masa with the warm water and stir it into the pot. Simmer for 15 more minutes. Taste and adjust seasonings.

Serve with Cotija cheese, pico de gallo, and cilantro.

http://thepioneerwoman.com/cooking/veggie-chili/

I don't make chilli but this sounds like it has to taste good. You are quite a fan of the Pioneer Woman, ReadWritelearnlove? You have me paying a lot more attention to her the calories aside.

I really like the sound of this chili. I make it often but of course I always have meat added to it. I have never made a veggie chili before. I really enjoy a nice hot bowl of chili now that the days are getting chilly. It is the perfect food to warm you up. It is one of my favorite comfort foods! I really like how everybody makes their chili different. No two chilis ever taste the same. Everybody has their own unique way of making it.

I actually had something yesterday that I thought was quite good that sort of resembled it. A potpourri of veggies but the dish was cold. I don't know what is was exactly but my son bought it and for the first time is a long time I was happy with something bought from a restaurant.

The Pioneer Woman is definitely one of my favorites. Her recipes always turn out well, I find. I haven't yet tried this one but I like that there are so many veggies in it - I'm always happy when I know those nutrients are in there!

I am a big fan, but I am also careful with her recipes because they aren't always "good" for me. When I can, I switch ingredients around to watch calories, fat, sodium and the such. This recipe is so hearty. I can't even finish a whole serving because it fills me up so much. That's probably why one batch is lasting so long!

I also love chili but we cannot have it at home because my husband has acid reflux - spicy food is against his stomach condition. When I eat in a Chinese restaurant, the first thing I ask is the chilli sauce. That's what I mix with the soy sauce and lemon juice as dip for the siomai, a kind of dumpling. When our red pepper plant in the backyard has plenty of fruits, I would make my own chili sauce by frying the red pepper straight from the plant. That homemade chili sauce is even better than that in the restaurant.

Back
Top Bottom