Recipe Vietnamese Pho Noodle Soup

PreppedFRESH

Local time
10:29 AM
My mum grew up in Saigon in the 60's before relocating to France, so Pho has always been part of my family's culinary repertoire. The good news is that making your own fabulous bowl of Vietnamese pho at home is not hard, all you need is a straightforward recipe and a nice big stockpot. Ladle the hot broth over the noodles and meat and you'll be in Pho heaven!

Ingredients (Serves 6)

1 large onion, peeled and halved
1 large 10cm piece of fresh ginger, halved lengthwise
5-star anise
4 whole cloves (spice)
3 cinnamon sticks
2 cardamom pods
1 tbsp coriander seeds
1.5kg beef brisket
1kg beef meaty bones
1kg marrow bones
1 tbsp brown sugar
2 tsp fish sauce
300g rib eye fillet, lightly frozen to very thinly slice
1 pack rice noodles
Fresh mint/ basil
Bean sprouts
2 limes
Red chili or hot sauce

Instructions:

1. Place onion and ginger in a dry hot pan cut side down. Cook for a few minutes until charred. Remove and set aside. Toast Spices for 3 minutes and set aside.
2. Place bones & brisket in a large stock pot, cover with water and boil on high heat for 5 minutes, then drain and rinse well under tap water to remove impurities for a clearer broth.
3. Wipe pot clean and add clean bones and brisket back in, with onion, ginger, spices and cover with 3 litres of water. Add sugar and salt, cover with lid and simmer for 3 hours.
4. Remove brisket, which should be fall-apart tender, set aside and refrigerate for later. Simmer the rest uncovered for a further 40 minutes.
5. Strain broth into another pot, discard bones, vegetables, and spices. Add fish sauce and season with more salt and sugar if needed and keep warm on low heat.
6. To assemble the soup, prepare rice noodles per packet, place noodles in bowl. Top with bean sprouts, thinly sliced raw beef and brisket and ladle over hot broth to cook the meat. Serve with extra bean sprouts, fresh herbs, lime and hot sauce.

Last edited by a moderator:
I always make the stock a day or 2 ahead and refrigerate. The fat congeals on the top, along with some of the impurities, and you can just pick up the pieces of fat and toss them. I need to make a big pot of pho broth again now that we are making some room in the freezer.

I always make the stock a day or 2 ahead and refrigerate. The fat congeals on the top, along with some of the impurities, and you can just pick up the pieces of fat and toss them. I need to make a big pot of pho broth again now that we are making some room in the freezer.
Yes, thanks for mentioning that. I do that too, but actually tend to keep the layer of fat to freeze and cook with!

Back
Top Bottom