Want to own a restaurant?

I am there every day..We're open six days a week from 10-6..I get there around 9 to get the kitchen ready. Occasionally. I take a couple of hours off in the afternoon, but my partner has to be the one covering for me..we have a hard time finding good employees..almost every restaurant in the region is looking to hire..right now, the staff we have is trustworthy, but the problem is they aren't capable of being left alone to manage the place..we're on the Trans Canada Highway and can become very busy with no warning..
We only change the menu every year, or so..most of it stays and we drop some under performers and add new stuff..I run daily specials which is something new a lot of the times..so we have a lot of variety to choose from..I added a classic type menu to draw the older crowd in and it is working great..regular sandwiches, less expensive combo lunch specials..etc
Ordering is always a challenge, but we get orders two times a week so in some ways you only have to order for three days..we rarely order too much of anything and there are ways to deal with excess perishable items..you get used to the volumes required and they change from season to season..I have had to freeze stuff, put stuff on special to get rid of it, run out and buy more at a grocery store..many ways to deal with things..
The health inspectors are pretty good..I've had a lot of them over the years..we get a new one every 2-3 years..they do quarter annual inspections..we are open kitchen concept so we have to stay clean all of the time..no place to hide..we always get a great review..I know where they are going to look so I start to concentrate on those areas as the inspection date approaches..And most importantly, I pride my self on being a professional so a clean establishment is very important to me..anybody who comes to work is told that cleaning is a mandatory part of their job..
The first restaurant was a bar/tratoria in Italy..My first wife was Italian and we moved over there to live with her parents who had a hotel..they renovated the bar on the main floor and we took it over..I couldn't speak Italian so I started in the kitchen with a chef. Eventually, he moved on and I took over after about a year.
The second one was a family type diner in a small rural village here in Eastern Ontario.It was on the side of my house..I raised my family there for 15 years..then closed down and moved out..we did breakfast, lunch and dinner..pizza was a big seller for us..
Now I have a deli and meat shop..busy place..we have a meat counter, and sell many sandwiches, soups, salads, wraps, etc..counter service..we try and feed people within a few minutes..take out is big..we service a lot of tradesmen, travelers, etc..

Great read about your experience and your livelihood. Thanks for sharing, Roch.

If I could find all the items that I like or used to find at deli/meat depts that closed or are too far away, they would be...

Big fat pork chops with a pocket stuffed with cornbread dressing.

Wagyu beef meatballs

Footlong hot dogs.

Salmon and veggie kabobs (zucchini, summer squash, Etc).

I am there every day..We're open six days a week from 10-6..I get there around 9 to get the kitchen ready. Occasionally. I take a couple of hours off in the afternoon, but my partner has to be the one covering for me..we have a hard time finding good employees..almost every restaurant in the region is looking to hire..right now, the staff we have is trustworthy, but the problem is they aren't capable of being left alone to manage the place..we're on the Trans Canada Highway and can become very busy with no warning..
We only change the menu every year, or so..most of it stays and we drop some under performers and add new stuff..I run daily specials which is something new a lot of the times..so we have a lot of variety to choose from..I added a classic type menu to draw the older crowd in and it is working great..regular sandwiches, less expensive combo lunch specials..etc
Ordering is always a challenge, but we get orders two times a week so in some ways you only have to order for three days..we rarely order too much of anything and there are ways to deal with excess perishable items..you get used to the volumes required and they change from season to season..I have had to freeze stuff, put stuff on special to get rid of it, run out and buy more at a grocery store..many ways to deal with things..
The health inspectors are pretty good..I've had a lot of them over the years..we get a new one every 2-3 years..they do quarter annual inspections..we are open kitchen concept so we have to stay clean all of the time..no place to hide..we always get a great review..I know where they are going to look so I start to concentrate on those areas as the inspection date approaches..And most importantly, I pride my self on being a professional so a clean establishment is very important to me..anybody who comes to work is told that cleaning is a mandatory part of their job..
The first restaurant was a bar/tratoria in Italy..My first wife was Italian and we moved over there to live with her parents who had a hotel..they renovated the bar on the main floor and we took it over..I couldn't speak Italian so I started in the kitchen with a chef. Eventually, he moved on and I took over after about a year.
The second one was a family type diner in a small rural village here in Eastern Ontario.It was on the side of my house..I raised my family there for 15 years..then closed down and moved out..we did breakfast, lunch and dinner..pizza was a big seller for us..
Now I have a deli and meat shop..busy place..we have a meat counter, and sell many sandwiches, soups, salads, wraps, etc..counter service..we try and feed people within a few minutes..take out is big..we service a lot of tradesmen, travelers, etc..

So much admiration for those who run a restaurant or a business in general and has to do not only with the public but also with employees (I managed for years shop employees after having selected them), costs, health checks (haccp?). For a restaurant then having a varied idea depending on the public is fundamental.
Definitely a tough job but I understand that it is also well rewarded at the level of appreciation. The effort is worth the candle in this case I would say.

Thank you for a fascinating insight @Rocklobster. There are probably many of us who have secretly harboured thoughts of running a restaurant, but too easily overlook the gulf between cooking at home and cooking professionally, and not just in terms of the hard work and dedication that you illustrate above. As a home cook, I don't have to consider ingredient costs (within reason), portion control, ease of preparation, shelf life etc. etc., plus I can cook what and how I want, without regard for needing strangers wanting to buy it! Much respect!

Great read about your experience and your livelihood. Thanks for sharing, Roch.

If I could find all the items that I like or used to find at deli/meat depts that closed or are too far away, they would be...

Big fat pork chops with a pocket stuffed with cornbread dressing.

Wagyu beef meatballs

Footlong hot dogs.

Salmon and veggie kabobs (zucchini, summer squash, Etc).
Thanks.. I was offering some opportunity for discussion. I'm sure everybody in this business has a different story..

Thank you for a fascinating insight @Rocklobster. There are probably many of us who have secretly harboured thoughts of running a restaurant, but too easily overlook the gulf between cooking at home and cooking professionally, and not just in terms of the hard work and dedication that you illustrate above. As a home cook, I don't have to consider ingredient costs (within reason), portion control, ease of preparation, shelf life etc. etc., plus I can cook what and how I want, without regard for needing strangers wanting to buy it! Much respect!
I get to cook what I want when I get home..actual cooking is only a part of the job..I spend most days multitasking between cooking and talking to customers, staff, on the phone, etc..after a while you try and get recipes down so you can produce them quickly and consistently without much thought..the majority of food that goes out is a result of hours and hours of repetitious development..

When I was much younger, some of us tried to convince Dad to start up a restaurant. Most of his meals were quite good.

He said, NO. He didn't want to be cooking the same thing every night. Understood.

I really respect good restauranteers. I save my personal urges for periodically inviting people over and telling them not to bring anything beyond maybe a bottle of wine.

Back
Top Bottom