Wartime cooking

What exactly are the Easter eggs? Here, that would usually mean a hard-boiled egg, but I'm thinking some kind of chocolate/sweet in your case?
Just mini Cadbury creme eggs of 9 grams each. Chocolate easter eggs are a tradition here, and this is the smallest version.

This might be obvious to everybody on the planet except me so please forgive me if this makes no sense.

How exactly did this work? Is it like going to the store once a week and getting these amounts of various items or one shopped for a whole month and had to make it last that number of weeks?

I saw a photo on one of the links you posted that was a ration book of some kind. Did they just keep track that way or was it possible to "rollover" unused quantities to the next week (or month)?

Was there some kind of "centralized" accounting for who received their rations?

Very interesting topic.

Wartime is an interesting time, but why would it be a healthy diet to eat the amounts of what the people did eat back then? I don't understand that, you could buy organic products to increase your health through food, study some scientific researches or at best hire a personal dietitian. I don't want to stop you making this diet, if you want to do this, do it, but I don't understand how this should make you more healthy, excuse me for my critique and enjoy your life.
Stay healthy

My grandfather was a p.o.w in WWII and as my nana said he never left an empty plate when he got home the rest of his life. In fact he was hard on us kids leaving food on plates. And having elbows on tables, and asking please may I leave the table. War/ discipline thing ???
I acquiesced until I was 13.

Russ

My grandfather was a p.o.w in WWII and as my nana said he never left an empty plate when he got home the rest of his life. In fact he was hard on us kids leaving food on plates. And having elbows on tables, and asking please may I leave the table. War/ discipline thing ???
I acquiesced until I was 13.

Russ
I was never allowed to leave food on my plate either, precisely with the argument that my grandparents had suffered hunger in the war. Which they had, and most of my generation has too been raised this way. I even know the etiquette around table placements.

I was never allowed to leave food on my plate either, precisely with the argument that my grandparents had suffered hunger in the war. Which they had, and most of my generation has too been raised this way. I even know the etiquette around table placements.
Same here. Both my parents grew up poor. My mother had 10 siblings and my father was an only child. We were required to have dinner together on Sundays. Any other day, my father wouldn't eat with us. He was in the military before he met my mother so he also insisted that we go to ethnic restaurants and try new foods.

Our family sat together for dinner every evening when my husband came home. I never forced my kids to eat but that lead to a problem.

MJ: <Daughter> please eat your dinner.
D: No.
MJ: OK, but you'll be hungry later.
D: No I won't.
MJ: <looks at hubby for backup. Met with silence>

Fast forward to midnight

D: Mommy, I'm hungry.
MJ: Honey, I told you to eat your dinner earlier.
D: I want something to eat.
MJ: I'm sorry honey. You should have eaten your dinner earlier (I wasn't going to let her starve, btw).
Husband: Get out of this bed and go feed your daughter.
MJ: <gets up and gets daughter food>

Repeat this scenario for about a month

Husband: Go feed her.
MJ: I'm exhausted. You do it.
Husband: <gets ticked but gets up to feed her>

Next day at dinner

MJ: <Daughter> please eat your dinner.
D: No.
Husband: Eat your food NOW!

:laugh:

I was also born in 1951, while it was 6 years since war ended rationing was still running (not that I remember it) but the legacy of rationing continued to a time that I do remember and I remember dad coming home with a couple of rabbits, maybe some birds, on one occasion a seagull, it did not matter it was meat. No lawn in the garden back or front it was all veg and every house in the street was the same. It seems that after the war most people could not get out of the habit of living that way. We ate well

Back
Top Bottom