Washing Chicken

My answer is yes I still do and just cannot imagine not washing the chicken no matter what I read. I'll read the link when I am more alert. I've discussed it countless times with people close to me and many feel the same way. It's a cultural thing here and what's more many households won't eat chicken unless they let it sit in lime and salt for a little while before cooking.

Well, it might go against current guidelines, but I've always washed chicken, and any other lumps of meat, including chicken portions, diced meat, and so on; and I will continue to do so
But I'm careful how I do it - low down in the sink, clean up immediately afterwards, and avoid cross contamination

Well, it might go against current guidelines, but I've always washed chicken, and any other lumps of meat, including chicken portions, diced meat, and so on; and I will continue to do so
But I'm careful how I do it - low down in the sink, clean up immediately afterwards, and avoid cross contamination

It is against guidelines. And if you must the low down in the sink is best. But why do you think you need to wash it? Intrigued that you wash meat too. Is it only diced meat you wash. If so, why?

The problem is that people think they are somehow washing off bacteria. In reality, bacteria can't be washed off - but they are killed by cooking in high temperatures. If you wash the chicken, not only does it not kill any bacteria, it risks spraying bacteria around the vicinity.

http://www.livescience.com/50919-why-washing-chicken-before-cooking-is-unsafe.html
http://www.nhs.uk/Livewell/homehygi...n-can-cause-campylobacter-food-poisoning.aspx

https://www.food.gov.uk/news-updates/campaigns/campylobacter/fsw-2014

Last edited:
I have an HNC in Applied Biology and Microbiology. I know about contamination and infection and take the appropriate precautions

I have an HNC in Applied Biology and Microbiology. I know about contamination and infection and take the appropriate precautions
I enjoyed my Microbiology class. I was so glad that petri dish full of e-coli didn't break when it slipped out of my hand. The professor asked what I would have done if it had broke. I told her dump the bleach solution on it, lock all the doors, then clean it up. She was impressed I thought that quickly but was curious as to why I would lock the doors. I told her to keep others from coming in until it was cleaned up.
I didn't get a safety violation because I had told her the proper actions. Unlike the stupid one that turned on one bunsen burner valve and was using the sparker on another one. I got 5 points added to my next test for preventing a major disaster. Even if I did screw up at least 4 experiments. I literally turned off every bunsen burner between me and the stupid one. Then jerked the sparker out of the stupid one's hand. I also started a lecture on gas safety.
She lost an entire grade on her next test.

Last edited:
When we slaughtered our chickens (and rabbits), they used to be hung on a washing line in the kitchen to drain. With all the blood, washing chickens was the least of our worries :)

My Indian cookery book is by Dharamjit Singh, and he also advocates washing chicken.

And I must confess, I usually do - low down in the sink, on a plate - especially if it has come to the attention of the mutt and the three cats :D

Not washing a chicken but I did just strip some cooked chicken, inside chihuahua wanted to help. Outside cats watched too. They were looking through the door. All three got the scraps.

Not washing a chicken but I did just strip some cooked chicken, inside chihuahua wanted to help. Outside cats watched too. They were looking through the door. All three got the scraps.
The problem is that they don't mind whether it is cooked or raw. The hound is big enough to help himself off the counter top, and two of the three cats are still quite capable of jumping up on to the counter top (the third cat has to hope they throw him some!). At least I have a microwave now that they cannot open (!), so I can hide it in there. I forgot a couple of days ago and one of the two pieces of raw chicken had disappeared - well, I was late feeding him :giggle:

The problem is that they don't mind whether it is cooked or raw. The hound is big enough to help himself off the counter top, and two of the three cats are still quite capable of jumping up on to the counter top (the third cat has to hope they throw him some!). At least I have a microwave now that they cannot open (!), so I can hide it in there. I forgot a couple of days ago and one of the two pieces of raw chicken had disappeared - well, I was late feeding him :giggle:
My dog won't touch raw chicken or raw ground beef. He is very picky.

Back
Top Bottom