Wearing glasses

epicuric

Legendary Member
Staff member
Local time
2:07 AM
My prescription (progressive) sunglasses are aviators, and the large surface area of the lenses makes them tolerable.
I have a pair of mirrored Aviators. I like to think they look cool, but I'm sure someone will correct me. Every time I put them on, in my mind I become a Top Gun pilot. My main sunglasses are Serengeti Drivers. Great for driving in, rubbish for looking at my phone.

epicuric

Legendary Member
Staff member
Local time
Short-sightedness has affected me since I was about 12 yrs old, when I started wearing glasses. In my twenties I spent a fair bit of time on horseback, where glasses were neither safe nor practical, so I switched to contacts. They have always served me well, but now I need reading glasses as well. I just need to remember where I left them.

MypinchofItaly

Legendary Member
Recipe Challenge Judge
Local time
3:07 AM
Website
mypinchofitaly.co.uk
Short-sightedness has affected me since I was about 12 yrs old, when I started wearing glasses. In my twenties I spent a fair bit of time on horseback, where glasses were neither safe nor practical, so I switched to contacts. They have always served me well, but now I need reading glasses as well. I just need to remember where I left them.

It's worse when you're looking for them and you're still wearing them, I guess....

caseydog

Legendary Member
Local time
8:07 PM
I have a pair of mirrored Aviators. I like to think they look cool, but I'm sure someone will correct me. Every time I put them on, in my mind I become a Top Gun pilot. My main sunglasses are Serengeti Drivers. Great for driving in, rubbish for looking at my phone.

I have three pair of Sarengeti drivers -- got them free for product reviews when I worked for a car magazine. One pair is pretty much an Aviator shape. Yes, they are pretty much only good for driving, and they are very good for that -- even on cloudy days.

Of course, the originals are Ray Ban, what Joe wears.

Screen Shot 2020-12-31 at 11.57.56 AM.png

CD

Last edited:

epicuric

Legendary Member
Staff member
Local time
I have three pair of Sarengeti drivers -- got them free for product reviews when I worked for a car magazine. One pair is pretty much an Aviator shape. Yes, they are pretty much only good for driving, and they are very good for that -- even on cloudy days.

Of course, the originals are Ray Ban, what Joe wears.

CD
I knew you would have Serengeti Drivers! Supposedly worn by most F1 drivers, for good reason.

caseydog

Legendary Member
Local time
I knew you would have Serengeti Drivers! Supposedly worn by most F1 drivers, for good reason.
We did an article on sunglasses in the magazine. I got about a dozen pair of sunglasses from the companies. I gave some away (the ones I didn't like). I kept about six pair, including a pair of ridiculously priced Porshe Design sunglasses (they left me voice mail messages that they wanted them back, but I somehow didn't get those messages).

Sarengeti kept sending me sunglasses for our product review section (six pages of fluff).

CD

caseydog

Legendary Member
Local time
Those guys have too much time on their hands. I have some Porsche Design knives. 911, job done. You can go home now.

They were pretty arrogant. They tried to "qualify" me to get a pair of glasses. I finally said, "If you want to be in the four-page article in our magazine, send some glasses," and left it up to them to decide. It was product promotion in a car magazine for the cost of one pair of sunglasses. They figured it out, and sent a pair of glasses.

I couldn't believe they wanted me to send them back. That only happened one other time, but that was a very expensive product -- and they told me up front that they needed it back.

CD

Top Bottom