Wearing glasses

caseydog

Local time
10:28 AM
[Mod.Edit: A series of posts about glasses moved from the New Year thread to form a new topic (MG)]

Well it seems 2020 wasn't done with me yet.
I've just been told I need multifocal lenses but not because I need reading glasses or help in that area (I'm short sighted) but because I can't focus on a timely manner on distance... seems that the ligaments holding my lenses in places are too tight (I have a bad astigmatism) and as such are actually stopping me focusing on distance. Once they relax, I can see more clearly. By using reading glasses, it takes the strain off the ligaments and allows me to focus in a more timely manner (seconds rather than minutes) on distance stuff. So it's a 4 figure job for my glasses in multifocals (I always have the polarizing lenses and extra thin lenses because of my prescription and issues with my nose, I can't have contacts period, they can't correct my eyesight even before this). Grrr

I had some multi-vocals (progressives). They were expensive, but not THAT expensive. I hated them. Actually, I hate any glasses when I am driving because they mess with my peripheral vision.

I do have reading glasses. I can't focus close anymore, which is very common as people age. As far as distance, my left eye is near perfect, but not my right.

CD

Last edited by a moderator:
Well it seems 2020 wasn't done with me yet.
I've just been told I need multifocal lenses but not because I need reading glasses or help in that area (I'm short sighted) but because I can't focus on a timely manner on distance... seems that the ligaments holding my lenses in places are too tight (I have a bad astigmatism) and as such are actually stopping me focusing on distance. Once they relax, I can see more clearly. By using reading glasses, it takes the strain off the ligaments and allows me to focus in a more timely manner (seconds rather than minutes) on distance stuff. So it's a 4 figure job for my glasses in multifocals (I always have the polarizing lenses and extra thin lenses because of my prescription and issues with my nose, I can't have contacts period, they can't correct my eyesight even before this). Grrr

I wear eye glasses and have always been dissatisfied with my prescription glasses, finding that store bought reading glasses gave me better comfort and accuracy. Not too long ago, I learned about Progressive Eye Glasses and as I do a lot of camera work, thought they'd be great. They were. Progressive glasses have three focus zones, from top to bottom, Far, Local and Near sighted corrections. These are not Bi-Focals. The best Progressives are seamless in their transition through the three zones.

Again, I got prescribed Progressives after trying store bought Progressives and guess which won the comfort and accuracy evaluation - the store bought Progressives. Actually, I didn't find them in a store, but on the web.

The Progressives that you can order online are as cheap as reading glass, maybe a bit more. If you know your diopter for near and far sightedness, give them a try. The only problem with store bought or online bought glasses is that they are the same in both lenses and not specifically set for each eye. So you need to go with the diopter values that you feel most comfortable with.

I wear eye glasses and have always been dissatisfied with my prescription glasses, finding that store bought reading glasses gave me better comfort and accuracy. Not too long ago, I learned about Progressive Eye Glasses and as I do a lot of camera work, thought they'd be great. They were. Progressive glasses have three focus zones, from top to bottom, Far, Local and Near sighted corrections. These are not Bi-Focals. The best Progressives are seamless in their transition through the three zones.

Again, I got prescribed Progressives after trying store bought Progressives and guess which won the comfort and accuracy evaluation - the store bought Progressives. Actually, I didn't find them in a store, but on the web.

The Progressives that you can order online are as cheap as reading glass, maybe a bit more. If you know your diopter for near and far sightedness, give them a try. The only problem with store bought or online bought glasses is that they are the same in both lenses and not specifically set for each eye. So you need to go with the diopter values that you feel most comfortable with.

I lost my $400 progressives, and went back to just reading glasses for up close viewing. I have a couple pair of Foster Grant progressive reading glasses from a big box store that work better than the expensive ones -- I think they were around 25 bucks.

For photography, my camera has a built-in diopter in the viewfinder, so no glasses are needed -- you can adjust the viewfinder diopter to match your eyesight. The PITA is going back and forth between the viewfinder and the preview screen on the back of the camera. I need my reading glasses to see that.

CD

I knew I needed glasses when it was getting hard to see distance wise. Only need for driving, I can read fine print without glasses. Just the distance thing. Never remember if I'm short or long sighted???

Russ

I lost my $400 progressives, and went back to just reading glasses for up close viewing. I have a couple pair of Foster Grant progressive reading glasses from a big box store that work better than the expensive ones -- I think they were around 25 bucks.

For photography, my camera has a built-in diopter in the viewfinder, so no glasses are needed -- you can adjust the viewfinder diopter to match your eyesight. The PITA is going back and forth between the viewfinder and the preview screen on the back of the camera. I need my reading glasses to see that.

CD

The camera diopter is fine and useful, but I need to see buttons close up and be able to see the subject in the distance without switching glasses. Progressives do that for me.

The problem here is that I need glasses. I always have done. I was -6.5 in both eyes at one point in my twenties. I'm back to -4.25 now . Glasses are needed 24/7 . But I can and do easily read close up with or without prescription lenses. The issue relates to my ligaments that hold the lens in the eye, not the ability of the eye to focus. Given enough time I can read distance stuff (near, close up is fine always). I can't switch glasses between reading glasses and my scripted glasses. It's just not possible. Even looking at the dashboard to view my speed throws my distance vision off for a minute or more whilst my lens ligaments relax enough to allow the pupil to adjust and the lens to focus.

I'm actually short sighted and even though it is common for reading glasses to be needed as you age, this is not why I need them. That's hubby and his issue! (He's short sighted and long sighted. ) for me, I need them to take away the eye strain I have. I can focus as close as 20cm from my eyes... so remove all glasses or lenses and bring the screen as close as you can to your face until you can't focus on these words, when the zoom is set to 100%. Most people need more distance as they age. I don't. But by increasing the size of the text I had already established that I could read signposts or the tv, or just focus distance stuff much more easily and quickly. It isn't that I can't focus distance wise, it is just taking too long to happen. If your script is wrong, you won't focus at all... my problem is not a common problem.

I need prescription multifocal lenses that have a very wide area of focus, are ultra-thin and hence lightweight (due to very fragile nose bridge that has previously been broken) and with polarizing filters. That's where the cost comes in. I need to change prescription anyway, end of story. I can't buy reading glasses because I'm too short sighted and I have a bad astigmatism. I can't balance without my glasses. Anyone really short sighted will know this problem especially when vertical isn't vertical (astigmatism) because of the shape of your eye.

I'm in Australia so sunglasses (polarizing) goes without saying even in the middle of winter.

There are no cheap alternatives even before I needed to add in multifocal lenses (these are similar to or equivalent to progressives I think). There are 3 zones and it is graduated/varied between these zone. That's as much at I know.

Right now there is a 2 for 1 offer on and 3 months guarantee satisfaction. If I can't adjust you multifocals in 3 months, I go back and they will exchange them for single vision lenses with all the extras and refund the difference for both sets... I got 6 years out of the last set of glasses, so 4 figures in Aussie dollars isn't to worrying even if they only last 2 years. I was paying upwards of £500 in the UK for what I needed because of the nose bridge damage and because of my astigmatism and ultra-thin polarizing lenses (cheaper than a 2nd set of glasses and changing into those all the time). So this cost in Aussie dollars is no surprise (it also factors in lightweight frames as well).

Edit: as an idea of my script, without ultra-thin lenses, even with small frames, the depth of my lenses at the point where they meet the frame would be more than 6mm deep. That's ¼ inch thick unless I buy ultra-thin lenses.

Last edited:
I assume that "progressives" are what we call varifocals over here. I've needed to wear these for about the last ten years. I think that my eyesight follows the general pattern, one of my few areas of orthodoxy. I was always short-sighted and then my short sight eventually started to deteriorate, hence the need for varifocals. Well, it was either that or getting my arms extended to gibbon proportions.

[Mod.Edit: A series of posts about glasses moved from the New Year thread to form a new topic (MG)]

I had some multi-vocals (progressives). They were expensive, but not THAT expensive. I hated them. Actually, I hate any glasses when I am driving because they mess with my peripheral vision.

I do have reading glasses. I can't focus close anymore, which is very common as people age. As far as distance, my left eye is near perfect, but not my right.

CD

Just like me. I necessarily need to wear reading glasses, I can’t focus close anymore and if I try, well... blurry misty view.
My decline started when I was 40 yo, I was told it was too early but it can’t helped. I’m 47 now, and I can say that it worsen little by little. I need sometimes to read with magnifying glasses and zoom on my iphone is always on - like now!
I don’t wear glasses when I drive, but who knows......

Almost 10 years ago I got my reading glasses. I had my first fulltime job where I spent 8 hours a day looking at a computer screen and my eyes were itching and crying the entire day. Other than that my vision was flawless. It has been deteriorating over time and no one can convince me the reading glasses are not the culprit. And my left eye can't see anything in the distance. The doctor was surprised that this doesn't affect my daily life. I only knew my left eye was struggling when I got an eye test. My dad says the eyes are hungry the moment you start wearing glasses your eyes want more and more. I frequently force myself to stay at the laptop or watch TV without my reading glasses so my eyes don't become lazier.

As a side story, my mom has always had really bad eyesight and always wore glasses. When she was younger, the only option for her were glasses with really thick lenses. My grandparents didn't have a lot of money and bought her the cheapest glasses, which were also always the ugliest ones. When she was in her teens and started dating my dad she was ashamed to wear her glasses so she didn't. Usually this wasn't much of an issue, until the day they went out for ice cream and she failed to see the cockroach at the bottom of her ice cream cone :laugh:

I've worn glasses since I was 10yo. I never minded them at all and came to see them as a good fashion accessory, and I'll say that I like the look of a nice pair of specs on a person.

Then in my early 40's, I had to move to bifocals, then progressives. I <bleeping> hate them. I'm onto my fourth or fifth pair, and they're just crap. Utter crap.

I can't, for the life of me, get used to having to adjust my head/eyes to find the right area of the lens to look through see what I want to see clearly. I seem to spend all day in a weird dance spasm of moving my head and moving whatever's in my hand (phone, book, etc) trying to find that 2mm x 4mm spot in my lenses that'll let me see that particular thing in focus.

I'll say this - if you're going for progressives, get the frames that allow for the biggest lenses possible (hello again, 1970's :laugh:), as the increased surface area makes each prescription band larger.

I'll say this - if you're going for progressives, get the frames that allow for the biggest lenses possible (hello again, 1970's :laugh:), as the increased surface area makes each prescription band larger.

I always go for the Pilot style glasses.

Back
Top Bottom