Weddings

I was once invited to a grand wedding where the reception was held in a private resort. The food was overflowing and the trimmings were so great that we even brought home some of the flowers. There were 4 roasted calf in each of the 4 buffet tables. Drinks were delivered by waiters and all the guests were satiated with expensive dishes. So much was spent for that grand wedding. However, before the one year anniversary of that wedding, the couple had already separated.
This confirms my cynicism about both weddings and lavish expenditure on them!

I was once invited to a grand wedding where the reception was held in a private resort. The food was overflowing and the trimmings were so great that we even brought home some of the flowers. There were 4 roasted calf in each of the 4 buffet tables. Drinks were delivered by waiters and all the guests were satiated with expensive dishes. So much was spent for that grand wedding. However, before the one year anniversary of that wedding, the couple had already separated.

It's true that some people focus so much on the wedding day that they totally neglect the fact that they've got to put effort into the marriage that follows. Sad to hear they separated, but I too know people like that, who spent a great deal on their wedding ceremonies but are getting divorced just a couple of years after.

This confirms my cynicism about both weddings and lavish expenditure on them!
Morning glory, I am going to have to get you and Classic 33 together and have a Dr Phil/ Phyliss since I female session:happy:. Anyway, whenever weddings are mentioned the wedding that first comes to mind (interesting it's not my own), is of a customer I met many years ago who told me she was married for a week after spending more than 20k or more on the wedding. I saw her some years later ' happily unmarried'. Perhaps that is not the story I should telling where cynicism exist. In my next post I will speak of my own experience. I think it requires a few threads. All I will say is that I had lots of guest and lots of food at my wedding. It was not terribly expensive...

A traditional wedding in the UK will often consist of a sit-down meal in the afternoon for close friends and family and then a larger party in the evening, often with a buffet. People spend extortionate amounts of money on weddings these days and it is, after all, just one day! There are lots of different options for catering that don't need to cost as much. I've heard of people having hog roasts, Indian banquts, hotpot suppers etc. My friend had hot beef and prok barmcakes (buns/ bread rolls) at her wedding in the evening.

I love weddings but just feel that people spend too much money on them. I will celebrate my 25 wedding anniversary soon and will not spend a lot of money. When I first got married, my guest all brought a cover dish which was their gift to me and my husband. This cut out the cost of my food.

I love weddings but just feel that people spend too much money on them. I will celebrate my 25 wedding anniversary soon and will not spend a lot of money. When I first got married, my guest all brought a cover dish which was their gift to me and my husband. This cut out the cost of my food.
My silver wedding anniversary is this year and I will be low key,a cruise for me and Mrs b in the new year and a nice watch as a symbol of time ,I'm going to be selfish no one else is included ,same if I was to get married again it's a personal thing !

My silver wedding anniversary is this year and I will be low key,a cruise for me and Mrs b in the new year and a nice watch as a symbol of time ,I'm going to be selfish no one else is included ,same if I was to get married again it's a personal thing !

My husband and I sometimes get a booking in a hotel for a candlelight dinner and a hearty breakfast. It is expensive, all right, but the idea is to revive the intimacy between us. This year we have this hotel coupon that we should use before November. I have also dreamed of a cruise but it is very expensive since a cruise involves 7 days and 6 nights. But truly, the amenities you get in a cruise is one of a lifetime. I understand that you are treated like a royalty in the cruise ship. That's wonderful.

I prefer to keep it simple but warm. If I were to do it over again I am not sure it would be a biggie as I would invite family and few friends and make a special meal for them. I have seen families who spend their all and even get bank loans to ride in limousines and choppers to their wedding.

Weddings here are an expensive event particularly when the couple hires a wedding coordinator. First off is the expensive invitation that is sometimes embossed and laced with gold dust. With the ceremony, they have invented so many stages like a pre-nup pictorial that includes videos with trimmings in the scenes and sometimes even with scripts.

Okay, now here is the food. Since the ceremony is lavish, expect the food to be lavish too. The indication of a lavish banquet is the roasted calf and roasted pig. For the rich with more than 200 guests, there will be 1 roasted calf and about 4 roasted pig. And that's not all, other meat, seafood and vegetables will be on the buffet table.

So do you have that much money for your wedding?

Yes, some of the weddings here in the U.S. are quite elaborate. I hope marriage never totally goes out of style because it is really fun to attend weddings! They usually involve a choice of entrees for guests or a smorgasboard. The last wedding I went to included a chocolate fountain which was totally cool. Dancing and merriment, and of course wedding cake which can be something specific to the couple, My friend made me wedding cookies, which were neat.

Yes, some of the weddings here in the U.S. are quite elaborate. I hope marriage never totally goes out of style because it is really fun to attend weddings! They usually involve a choice of entrees for guests or a smorgasboard. The last wedding I went to included a chocolate fountain which was totally cool. Dancing and merriment, and of course wedding cake which can be something specific to the couple, My friend made me wedding cookies, which were neat.

I think that chocolate fountain is called Fon Du or something. It is becoming popular here because it's always a hit with kids. And it's really cool particularly with the marshmallows and sliced fruits like melon that is dipped in that chocolate fountain. And you mentioned wedding cookies, what's in vogue here now are the cupcakes that are placed on the wedding cake table. So instead of slicing the cake for the guests, the guests would themselves go to the table and pick their choice of cupcake.

I went to my cousin's wedding last weekend. They have been together 42 years and decided to make it official. She just found out that her husband had cancer and he just started chemo this week. They are one of my favourite couples. Love them both so much. Anyway they had a small get together with about 50 people. They had it catered to by a local Chinese restaurant which was surprisingly inexpensive and everybody loved the food. It was a very nice wedding. When and if my fiance decide to make it official I will do so in a similar fashion. It will just be a get together for close friends and family.

We invited over 120 guest and had a traditional Chinese dinner which meant there over 10 courses served over 2 hours of eating. We also were allowed to bring in our own wine and liquor so each table had it's bottle of Crown Royal and red and white wine. It was also open bar. It was an average size wedding not too big that you couldn't get around to talk to everyone throughout the dinner. I loved it.

My husband and I got married nearly 19 years ago. We had a small celebration spending no more than £1,000 on the wedding and honeymoon in total.

It was all we had available and at the time we were only spending £20 a week on our weekly shopping. Our food cost £200 for everything though many years later I learnt that families met at a pub (for a celebratory drink afterwards) not far away from the village hall we rented out for the buffet meal. The spare food was frozen and feed us for several weeks.

We actually did something similar, going into the nearest town and finding the deli/fine foods place open and asking for a bottle of champagne to celebrate our marriage. We spent £70 on that bottle back then so that gives you an idea of what we bought! We retired back to where we were staying and drank it between us over the course of the evening. I hadn't served alcohol at the buffet because everyone except us had a long way to drive home. I also didn't serve anything that want vegetarian because I had decided I wanted to be able to eat anything in front of me that day and not worry about it not being vegetarian! It was immediate family and partners only. About 20 people in total, if that, plus 8 children may be.

Our honeymoon was 6 nights in Stockholm across the New Year's period.

In contrast, my sister is getting married next year and I know she is spending more that £20,000 on the wedding alone. :eek: :o_o:

In contrast, my sister is getting married next year and I know she is spending more that £20,000 on the wedding alone. :eek: :o_o:
I don't know how anyone could possibly justify spending that amount, given what else one could buy (or the good one could do) with that amount of money. Anyway, in the UK 42% of marriages end in divorce! :laugh:

Despite the fact that I am adamantly anti-marriage, I did make the mistake of getting married once. I was just turned 18. As far as I remember there wasn't any money spent at all unless you count the Biba dress I wore (which I already had anyway)! We just went to the pub. It lasted about two years, during which time he went on tour in Germany and shacked up with a German woman. I didn't mind, I was busy playing the field while he was away. It was the 60's after all!

Back
Top Bottom