Weddings

Despite the fact that I am adamantly anti-marriage, I did make the mistake of getting married once. I was just turned 18. As far as I remember there wasn't any money spent at all unless you count the Biba dress I wore (which I already had anyway)! We just went to the pub. It lasted about two years, during which time he went on tour in Germany and shacked up with a German woman. I didn't mind, I was busy playing the field while he was away. It was the 60's after all!
In contrast I married at 23. My brother married at 20. we are both still married (though his marriage has had a trial separation which didn't last) nearly two decades on! But that was the 90's!

In contrast I married at 23. My brother married at 20. we are both still married (though his marriage has had a trial separation which didn't last) nearly two decades on! But that was the 90's!
However, the stats have got worse since the 60's not better. It does seem to be tailing off in the last few years supposedly because people are marrying later and living together first, whereas in the past more of them would have married early on. This also means (obviously) that the couples who split up after living together, often for many years and have kids, don't show up in stats. I belong to the latter group having had a previous unmarried 14 year relationship with two children and then another partner (producing another 2 children) for the last 27 yrs.

Yeh, my mother isn't exactly the best advert for marriages. She's on her 3rd marriage. 1st 2 kids, 2nd one 2 kids, 3rd one I've gained an adopted step brother... He's (step father) on his 3rd marriage as well. 1 divorce, 1 widowed, and then my mother.... Her 1st husband is on his 2nd marriage to someone married twice before... Kids in all 3 marriages so I have a half sister from the last marriage and anyone's guess at his many step brother and sisters from the other 2. Her 2nd husband married someone who was also divorced twice before and kids from both... My adopted step brother is a social worker. He lives with the Israeli lady he has 2 kids with... I think he is the only one who had not married.

Yeh, it seems to be the trend; serial monogamy and extended families (although who knows how monogamous they really are!). I'm sure its all good news for the birthday card/ Xmas card industry...

My parents were married for 1 day short of 51 years, they had their ups and downs but they were so tight together. It is unfortunate that not many people get to experience something that special.

That's pretty lavish. I've only been to one wedding and it wasn't that lavish and the food was pretty basic, but delicious. Just mashed potatoes, rolls, meat, and some deserts. I've seen prices for wedding food and they can get to be crazy. I'd rather just stick with the basic stuff I know everybody will like. No need to go all out.

as i said earlier in this thread I'm up to 25 years of marriage this year,mid December,we had mulled cider and a buffet that cost me £150 no flowers in the church as it was advent ,and 1 night away in town then 3 weeks latter on tour in Norway then dropped south to the first gulf conflict
these days i find the people who are celebrating their big anniversaries are spending more money on their guests,than those getting married

Back
Top Bottom