Weekly Menu (2023)

SatNavSaysStraightOn

Staff member
Local time
9:40 AM
Website
www.satnavsaysstraighton.com
Quite a few of us plan what we're having for the week ahead, so here's the new thread for the new year.

Feel free to include links to recipes you're planning on making, add photos of your plans if you have made them previously, let us know if it is a new to you recipe and to discuss how it went. Are you planning a special meal, or is it just a regular week?

Thank you SatNavSaysStraightOn , funny I just made out our menu for the week:
Chopped Steak
Chicken Broccoli
Meatballs Parmesan
IMG_5188.JPG

Chicken Cacciatore
Grilled Salmon Fillets

Now these are subject to change, as deemed by the Head Cook :laugh:

Well, I’m planning on getting something more formal worked out tomorrow, but right now, we’re about to have pork and sauerkraut, and mashed potatoes, which we’ll have for leftovers tomorrow.

After that…my two final ham challenge recipes to make, both very simple. That’ll probably see us through the next week, actually.

Tonight, it’s just salad, to counter the pizza from last night.

Tomorrow, hot wings, with lots of raw cut-up vegetables to make it quasi healthy.

Monday (federal holiday), I’m planning an easy afternoon tea, with chicken or turkey and egg mayonnaise sandwiches, oatmeal scones, and chocolate muffins and clotted cream fudge for the top tier. Trying out our afternoon tea stand from Harrod’s, and I call it an easy afternoon tea, because I already have everything on hand to make it, and most of it will be somewhat pre-fab.

Lentil and tomato soup coming up, and some of that will get reused in a meatless shepherd’s pie dish, and again in a rice-and-pasta dish.

I have some bulk Italian sausage to use up, so I’m going to make a meat sauce with that, probably have spaghetti one night before freezing the rest.

Toasted ravioli and salad for a simple easy supper is in the works, and steak fajitas to round out the next several days.

Weekly Menu:

Homemade Pizza - tonight - oven is heating at 550° as we "speak"
Shoyu Chicken Plate Lunch
Italian Sausage & Baby Kale with loads of Garlic and Olive Oil over Cheese Tortellini
Hawaii-Style Won Ton Mein Deluxe (we have several snow days coming at us)
Grilled/BBQ Teriyaki Chicken Plate Lunch
Carne Asada Tacos

Saturday is Neighbor Hood Gal Pals Monthly Birthday Lunch out!!!

I'd like to get a pot of Italian Wedding Soup made somewhere in the mix to sit and marry in the `fridge, I haven't made that in for ever!

I forgot, next Sunday is Lunar New Year!
This year I'm going to take the low road ... I'm not going make all of our favorite "lucky foods", we're going to take my Mother and we'll have linner (late lunch/early dinner) at a new-sister restaurant to our favorite joint by DH & I, it's right down the road from Mom's apartment.

Sorry, but there´s no way in the world I could plan a whole week of meals. It just goes against my creative nature. Don´t tell me that, at least 3 or 4 days a week you think" Hmmmm... what shall I eat today? I fancy (this, or that, or something else)

Don´t tell me that, at least 3 or 4 days a week you think" Hmmmm... what shall I eat today? I fancy (this, or that, or something else)
No, not at all.

We've always planned a week ahead and made shopping lists. We worked out from the start that shopping was cheaper if you stuck with a list and that meant sticking with what you had planned. If we fancy something different from what is planned, then it usually gets put onto next week's shopping list. But living rurally with no shops locally (within 60km/40 miles) means you have to stuck with what's available and planned.

Just very occasionally something gets in the way of the planned meal (such as last Thursday when I saw my hip consultant for a 4:30pm appointment and he was running late which meant we didn't get home until 7pm, so we just pulled something from the freezer instead, but that's what the freezer is for in this household. )

Don´t tell me that, at least 3 or 4 days a week you think" Hmmmm... what shall I eat today? I fancy (this, or that, or something else)
Not me. That would actually drive me a little batty, actually. I prefer to know what I’m having.

Fajitas tomorrow, then slow-cooker chicken thighs with mushroom and onion, and honey-mustard roasted pork chops with red cabbage and apples, and finally, pea soup from the freezer.

The rest of the nights will be salad.

Not me. That would actually drive me a little batty, actually. I prefer to know what I’m having.

My ex-wife and I did that for quite a while, and we got used to it. It felt natural after a while. We did save money, for sure. It saved time, too, by cutting down on trips to the store for one or two items.

Now, I rarely plan ahead. I will plan a few days in advance to do a big cook -- like an all-day cook. I'll also plan ahead when cooking for guests. Otherwise, I eat what I feel like at any given time of any given day. Having a good supply and variety of meats in the freezer, and a well stocked panty helps. I also live less than five miles away from Kroger and Walmart. Same with ALDI, but I rarely shop there.

CD

BTW, I can see that with you. You don't like to stray from written recipes, so planning meals in advance fits. I rarely stick to a recipe. I change them almost every time, so not planing a menu for the week is natural for me.

CD

Back
Top Bottom