Weekly Menu (2023)

BTW, I can see that with you. You don't like to stray from written recipes, so planning meals in advance fits. I rarely stick to a recipe. I change them almost every time, so not planing a menu for the week is natural for me.

CD
I only ever stick to a recipe the first time I make it, after that I'll modify it to our tastes. Some recipes don't even get as far as being eaten before I've modified it because I can tell by looking at something that 1 clove of garlic between 8 servings won't be to our taste. And i never ever put in the required salt (usually none at all) and sugar is always halved and then the recipe tried.

All of my recipe books and printed recipes have handwritten notes and modifications written along side the recipe.

BTW, I can see that with you. You don't like to stray from written recipes, so planning meals in advance fits. I rarely stick to a recipe. I change them almost every time, so not planing a menu for the week is natural for me.

CD
My first issue with not planning ahead - I’d never be able to eat out of the freezer because nothing would ever be thawed to cook.

1 clove of garlic between 8 servings won't be to our taste.
One thing I always do, if a recipe calls for garlic, I always double it, whether I’ve made it before or not.

My first issue with not planning ahead - I’d never be able to eat out of the freezer because nothing would ever be thawed to cook.
That is not a issue in tropical climates. I can take out some deep-frozen salmon, or chicken, leave it outside for 2-3 hours and it´s thawed. So as long as I´ve got an idea of what I might make for lunch, and I´ve taken the stuff out at 9.30 - 10am, no problem.
The other thing I do is to open the fridge in the morning and say : "Right - I´ve got this/that protein or ingredient, so let me make something around that. "

Sorry, but there´s no way in the world I could plan a whole week of meals. It just goes against my creative nature. Don´t tell me that, at least 3 or 4 days a week you think" Hmmmm... what shall I eat today? I fancy (this, or that, or something else)

I'm the same. I'd be bored to death and end up not wanting what was planned.

Just a rough outline:

Turkey breast/crown w/ root vegetables today
Something with some chicken breast
Beef stew in red wine
Turkey-chicken meatballs in sun-dried tomato-spinach cream sauce
Afternoon tea out on Saturday
Cheese fondue at home on Valentine’s Day

I usually plan that morning or at some point throughout the day..But, I am around food all day and I have a lot of ingredients readily available, so I don't have to think about it ahead, thankfully. There are many nights we get home and realize we haven't thought about dinner so I'll hit the freezer or make a quick pasta. There are things that I get in my brain that I have to have at some point in the near future, so I plan it for sometime during the week. But I almost always plan the Sunday meal earlier in the week..

Last edited:
We almost always plan our Monday to Friday meals....the last thing I want when finishing work is to then have to decide what we're having for dinner....too much mental load. Weekends and holidays are much more freestyle though as I have more time to think about it.

This week's menu:
Monday: Pasta of some kind
Tuesday: Curry Spiced Chicken Breast with Tikka Masala Sauce and Garlic Rice (Hello Fresh)
Wednesday: Lebanese Style Meatballs in Tomato Sauce with Spinach and Cous Cous (HF)
Thursday: Either curry or tacos (not decided yet)
Friday: Spicy Hoisin Beef with Pak Choi, Mangetout and Zesty Rice (HF)

There are things that I get in my brain that I have to have at some point in the near future, so I plan it for sometime during the week.
That’s (one of) my problem(s), though: I get things in my brain, but then they see what else is in my brain, and run away, afraid for their lives!

Case-in-point: I have that beef stew up there. That was in my mind when I asked the forum about a red wine I have lying around, and then I totally forgot about it, until I went back yesterday and mentioned a white wine I just bought.

Now I’m making beef stew, before I forget it again.

We almost always plan our Monday to Friday meals....the last thing I want when finishing work is to then have to decide what we're having for dinner....too much mental load.
That’s me exactly.

I'll see something in the grocery store or a photo on here or the internet and then think about it until I finally get around to making it..

We have four doctor's appointments and Mom's monthly hair salon appointment, so I need to plot this week out pretty tight...

Frozen Pizza (Screamin' Sicilian-very tasty actually) - today
Beef Stew from the deep freeze - Thursday (gotta remember to make a pot of Rice before we leave)
Entrée Salads - Friday
Dinner out after Mom's hair-do - Wednesday
Sausage & Peppers with that imported Pasta - Tuesday
Now Saturday, I have two appointments over at Mom's Apartment Complex, so I'll eat out, dunno what DH is having :D

I should probably write this down!

Last edited:
GREAT!
Here it is the middle of the day, DH has had a good sized breakfast, a snack, several cups of Coffee with 1/2 & 1/2 and he goes and weighs himself!
:facepalm:
He's p.o.'d at his weight and I MUST not serve him anymore blah blah blah!
I'm making that frozen Pizza tonight with a Chopped Salad, because we won't get home until supper time!!!
GREAT!
I call BS!
Eat what I make or starve as my Mother would tell us kids.... harrumph!

We occasionally have that “discussion” - as recently as last night! :laugh:

MrsT contradicts herself a lot, and me being a very literal person, it messes with my brain.
And this is exactly what I mean, kaneohegirlinaz - we had fondue tonight, and a half-batch split between us was still over half her points for the day.

Complain, complain, complain…gripe, gripe, gripe…and a minute later:

2FC46D1D-B0F4-4F2B-BBBA-0A5C47DB346F.jpeg

Yep, roasting marshmallows over the fondue fire! 🤦🏻‍♂️

Here's my plan:
Grilled/BBQ'd Hot Dogs with Baked Beans and Coleslaw
Bacon wrapped-cheese stuffed Chicken breasts with fresh Asparagus and Baby Yukon Gold Potatoes
Stromboli
Full Turkey Dinner aka sliced Turkey Breast, Mashed Potatoes, Gravy (from a jar/box) and fresh steamed Carrots - YUM!
Grilled/BBQ's Salmon filets with steamed White Rice and a vegetable TBD
That's good for now.

Back
Top Bottom