Weight Loss Programs

Brilliant! How about the kids - have they lost weight too?
They’ve also seen some progress. The biggest success is getting them (and me) to start thinking about what they’re eating. The biggest challenge is that a friend - who has been over the house a lot lately - is NOT on a diet. I swear, all she eats is junk food. The fact that they’ve been able to (mostly) resist temptation is a positive sign.

If you’re disciplined enough to control your intake and eat sensibly, and you’re happy with the results, then you don’t need a formal diet. We do.

When I had to lose a fair amount of weight, I tried Weightwatchers but it was sheer torture. I was absolutely starving all the time. In the end I went on an eDiets diet, which I found to be absolutely brilliant. The way it was set up catered for my age, health issues, and allergies, and I lost 3 stone over nearly 6 months. The hospital where I worked at the time were so impressed they started recommending it to patients (with support from their dietitians, of course). Nowadays I just eat what I want - I usually eat pretty sensibly, although I do have my moments :laugh:

Is this ediets.com? I will definitely keep this in mind once the 3 month trial with Weight Watchers is over...I prefer to think of this as planning for success rather than planning for failure. :laugh:
Yes - they eventually started up a UK version which was taken over by Tesco supermarkets, but it was definitely the US version when I first registered with them. They had quite a range of recipes which could be substituted. I found them very good. Spark is good for recipes too, but as it is free some of it is a bit hit and miss.

So...there have been no updates on this topic for a few months and I'm wondering how people's weight loss journeys are going? I'm proud to say that as of the end of last month I am no longer overweight :woot:

I still have another 5 or so kilos to go to reach the target weight I've set myself, so I've still some work to do but the online programme I use really works for me. I weigh and log my foods (have to estimate as best I can if we eat out), and any exercise (and the extra calories I earn from it) is logged automatically via my Fitbit.

In total I've lost 15kg (33lbs) since I started in January at a steady half a kilo (just over 1lb) per week - and that's including a 2 week holiday where I treated myself to plenty of lovely French food and wine (in moderation of course!) :drink:

I have to add that I think Fitbits are one of the best inventions ever! I think most people use them mostly to count steps, but I like how the ones with a heart rate monitor can calculate how many calories you burn in a day - its kind of the reverse side of the weight loss coin. And I find it really motivational to see how I can earn more calories to eat by doing exercise, its also shown me just how shockingly sedentary I am when I have a busy day and am stuck at my desk all day :eek:

So...there have been no updates on this topic for a few months and I'm wondering how people's weight loss journeys are going? I'm proud to say that as of the end of last month I am no longer overweight :woot:

I still have another 5 or so kilos to go to reach the target weight I've set myself, so I've still some work to do but the online programme I use really works for me. I weigh and log my foods (have to estimate as best I can if we eat out), and any exercise (and the extra calories I earn from it) is logged automatically via my Fitbit.

In total I've lost 15kg (33lbs) since I started in January at a steady half a kilo (just over 1lb) per week - and that's including a 2 week holiday where I treated myself to plenty of lovely French food and wine (in moderation of course!) :drink:

I have to add that I think Fitbits are one of the best inventions ever! I think most people use them mostly to count steps, but I like how the ones with a heart rate monitor can calculate how many calories you burn in a day - its kind of the reverse side of the weight loss coin. And I find it really motivational to see how I can earn more calories to eat by doing exercise, its also shown me just how shockingly sedentary I am when I have a busy day and am stuck at my desk all day :eek:

Wow! This is fantastic. I'm so pleased to hear how well you have done. I wonder how @The Late Night Gourmet (and son) did in the end. I recall he was following a programme too. As for me, I'm up and down like a yo-yo but not seriously overweight. I have a metabolic issue linked to thyroid which means if I'm out of balance on thyroxine I can either get thin or fat whilst eating virtually the same!

Last edited:

:bravo: :highfive:

Wow! This is fantastic. I'm so pleased to hear how well you have done. I wonder how @The Late Night Gourmet (and son) did in the end. I recall he was following a programme too. As for me, I'm up and down like a yo-yo but not seriously overweight. I have a metabolic issue linked to thyroid which means if I'm out of balance on thyroxine I can either get thin or fat whilst eating virtually the same!
Fantastic news, @MrsDangermouse!! I, too, also recently crossed the threshold I haven't seen since I was in my 20s: I now have a 24.7 BMI, which puts me in the normal range. I've lost 20.6 pounds (9.3 kg) since I started my diet at the end of March. But, really, I think of it as being less of a diet than a lifestyle change: it's not some weird gimmick that will wear off when I get sick of eating one particular kind of food. It's just about making smarter choices, which of course carries through to the recipes I make.

I, too, also recently crossed the threshold I haven't seen since I was in my 20s: I now have a 24.7 BMI, which puts me in the normal range. I've lost 20.6 pounds (9.3 kg) since I started my diet at the end of March. But, really, I think of it as being less of a diet than a lifestyle change: it's not some weird gimmick that will wear off when I get sick of eating one particular kind of food. It's just about making smarter choices, which of course carries through to the recipes I make.
Well done and congratulations - great feeling isn't it :D

I think you're absolutely right that its about changing habits. If you think of it as a "diet" and just go back to the way you ate before then it'll all just go back on again. The website I use has a whole section dedicated to maintainers - some of them still log their food years after reaching goal weight.

Well done. I’m so impressed. I really struggle to be consistent.

I’ve lost some weight this year - I’m almost all the way back to where I was when my Dad passed away.

My new job is desk bound so I was really worried for a while there but I did some reading on intermittent fasting - reducing eating window to 8-10 hours per day. So I dropped breakfast, and no more food or wine after 8pm.

Prep is key. I try to make a huge salad on Sundays to put in my lunch box each day - it usually includes roasted veg, leftover roast meat or chicken, a whole grain, a robust leaf like rocket and cherry tomatoes and cut a bunch of veg sticks for snacking in the afternoon at work. On Friday I treat myself to a banh mi from the Viet French bakery.

I have added more veg soups to our evening routine. Even if we just have a mug of soup before dinner. I make a big batch and freeze by the litre.

Salad is on the table most nights to go along with the main event.

I’m still waiting on the Fitbit I requested for mother’s day. I get an hour for lunch so I think it will get me doing at least a couple of laps of the closest park on days when I don’t need to run errands.

All up I’ve lost about 8kg.

The Wii Fit tells me I should weigh about 70kg but that’s very thin on my frame so I’m aiming for 80kg.

A long way to go.

The Wii Fit tells me I should weigh about 70kg but that’s very thin on my frame so I’m aiming for 80kg.

How tall are you if you don't mind me asking? I'm 5ft 8ins, medium frame and I feel best at around 10 stone (53.5kg). That puts me at a UK size 14. I'm rarely that, though! More like 66 kg (10.5 stone).

How tall are you if you don't mind me asking? I'm 5ft 8ins, medium frame and I feel best at around 10 stone (53.5kg). That puts me at a UK size 14. I'm rarely that, though! More like 66 kg (10.5 stone).

I am size 14 but do not want to weigh myself, I know I am overweight because my clothes are tight. Last weekend I vowed to lose some weight for our holiday in September, no alcohol, no crisps, no chocolate, no cake.

I’m 180cm tall. That’s just over 5ft 10in.

I’m 106kg and in a size 18 jeans - stretch. Need to lose another 6kg to get into my non stretch denim jeans in 18.

I’m 106kg and in a size 18 jeans - stretch. Need to lose another 6kg to get into my non stretch denim jeans in 18.

Ah - you are really tall (lucky you!) - that accounts for the higher target weight.

Nice to meet another tall lady (183cm here) :wave:
I know exactly what you mean about some of the guideline weights being too thin....apparently my healthy weight is somewhere between about 62kg and 84kg. I'm aiming for 75kg which for me is a small UK size 14 or large size 12 (I think Aus uses the same sizing as the UK?) but once I reach 80kg I'll assess how I feel and whether to stop there or carry on.

This is a really interesting article on the limitations of using BMI to calculate ideal weight: Piece of string better than BMI for checking body fat I'm not sure if I'd rely on it solely, but its another way of assessing progress.

Good luck with your weight loss journey :okay:

Back
Top Bottom