Were you taught cooking at school?

It's a common greyhound name too, as is my daughter's name :roflmao:
Alfie for a daughter?? Havnt heard of that. Alfie was the family horse wife and kids all had 1/4 share each. My high school bestys dad was called alf as well. He was a good man, and funny.

Russ

Alfie for a daughter?? Havnt heard of that. Alfie was the family horse wife and kids all had 1/4 share each. My high school bestys dad was called alf as well. He was a good man, and funny.

Russ
Not Alfie for a daughter, for the dog! My daughter's name is a common greyhound name now too. My late brother-in-law's name was Alfie; my niece narrowly escaped being called Elfreda. 50 years ago it was not a common name, but apparently it is now.

Not Alfie for a daughter, for the dog! My daughter's name is a common greyhound name now too. My late brother-in-law's name was Alfie; my niece narrowly escaped being called Elfreda. 50 years ago it was not a common name, but apparently it is now.
Oops, sorry. My aunties are, Joan ,Phyllis, Mavis, Doris ( my nan) old fashioned names.

Russ

I had those names on the family friends list as well! Though perhaps we'll need a new thread on names soon given tbe diversion from being taught cookery at school.

I was thinking about this earlier, has an Aunty Doreen and uncle Arthur, do know anybody else called that. My next door neighbour 40 years ago married a priscilla. :)

Russ

To get back to the topic of this thread, in my day it was called Domestic Science and only girls did it - the boys did woodwork and had to walk to the other end of town, to the technical college, to do it. I did it for one year - my first year at grammar school. At the start of the year the teacher told us we would have to make aprons before we could cook - no ready supplied aprons in those days. They were very nice aprons, made from blue checked material, and even had a pretty smock detail on the front. We had to sew them by hand and by the time we had them completed, we had just a few weeks left to learn how to cook. I can only remember a couple of things we made - blancmange and Irish stew. People who did well in Latin and French in first year were offered the opportunity to take up German in second year instead of Domestic as we referred to it or, in the boys' case, woodwork. I was one of those and went with the German option, reckoning I could continue learning to cook with my mum, which, of course, I did..

I hadn't heard that Home Economics, as it came to be called, had been scrapped as a subject in school. Does anyone know why it was scrapped?

No, not at all. Our school had one semester of either Home Economics or Industrial Arts (wood shop, mainly). In 1980 in Ohio, no boy would ever dream of taking home ec (not any girl IA), though I'm sure plenty would have preferred to have a real choice.

I wasn't even allowed to cook at home, it was considered too "girly." My mom didn't care, so first started cooking over summers in my teens, while my dad was at work and all my siblings (all older) had moved out.

They were very nice aprons, made from blue checked material, and even had a pretty smock detail on the front. We had to sew them by hand and by the time we had them completed, we had just a few weeks left to learn how to cook.

How extraordinary!

We never had cooking class at school, it did not even exist. The closest to it we had was a healthcare class where we once baked cakes to take with us to a home for the elderly.

I think cooking classes should be more common, it teaches kids such valuable life lessons for health and frugality.

I think cooking classes should be more common, it teaches kids such valuable life lessons for health and frugality.

We don't have kids (on purpose), but we've always been involved with our nieces and nephews, and one thing I've always approached them about is cooking, because I think it's a life skill - everyone should know the basics of meal prep, I think, just because you never know when your fortunes change and you can't afford to eat out or have meal delivery services or whatever.

No interest whatsoever. Five that we're particularly close to, and nope, no desire to know how to cook even the most basic things.

I always had an idea that I'd like to have done a cookbook tailored for a young single person, with just a few simple things, like herbed scrambled eggs, lasagna, pizza, chicken soup, apple crisp...things that wouldn't be intimidating and wouldn't require specialized equipment or culinary school technique, but nope, no interest at all.

Home Economic’s in secondary school for the first two years. Absolutely nothing useful or practical to be honest. I seem to remember it was things like crumble, trifle, and scones. The teacher was less than enthusiastic so perhaps that taints the memory.

Back
Top Bottom