Were you taught cooking at school?

Well, I'm so done with those training programs!! You either end up in the dishroom, or with no job at all!!! :mad::headshake:

I started as a cleaner in one warehouse I worked in as a student. I ended up on the quality control staff!
One job I had was answering phones and taking orders for steel. Big steel company, within 18 months I was running the service centre there, with 4 staff and also travelling with the job to branches through nz. The pay wasn't the best but the company had a rep for training people that went on to be successful. I was working for myself after only 5 years.

Russ

No! In the first form of grammar school the girls did needlework, which I hated. In the second form you could do either needlework or art, so naturally I did art. In the third form, you could do cookery or art, but if you did art in the second form you were not allowed to do cookery, so I did art again! We had the last laugh though because it turned out that the cookery teacher was not qualified to teach 'O' level cookery, and hardly any of the girls in that class passed.
I taught myself to cook (mainly when I was in Germany) and haven't looked back. When I was in Greece (and in the Greek community in Germany), I wasn't allowed to cook anything myself but watched others cook the foods I like. Most of the real Indian food I like to cook comes from my Mum, my old friends, and my trusty proper Indian cookery book.
Just for the record, my daughter never did cookery at school either (in the 1980s). She learned from me and from the Girl Guides!

No! In the first form of grammar school the girls did needlework, which I hated. In the second form you could do either needlework or art, so naturally I did art. In the third form, you could do cookery or art, but if you did art in the second form you were not allowed to do cookery, so I did art again! We had the last laugh though because it turned out that the cookery teacher was not qualified to teach 'O' level cookery, and hardly any of the girls in that class passed.
I taught myself to cook (mainly when I was in Germany) and haven't looked back. When I was in Greece (and in the Greek community in Germany), I wasn't allowed to cook anything myself but watched others cook the foods I like. Most of the real Indian food I like to cook comes from my Mum, my old friends, and my trusty proper Indian cookery book.
Just for the record, my daughter never did cookery at school either (in the 1980s). She learned from me and from the Girl Guides!

My daughter also learnt to cook the basics from me, she's a very good baker, I'm average.

Russ

I'll take your word for it,lol. I see some funny names come up on murican tv, Afro American names. My kids jokingly used to say they were naming their kids names like shaniqua or treborn,lol

Russ
Shaniqua is supposed to be quite a popular name at the moment, although Treborn is quite rare. It's surprising how names come and go. I used to know a Wayne and a Tracey who were both in their 80s :giggle:

Shaniqua is supposed to be quite a popular name at the moment, although Treborn is quite rare. It's surprising how names come and go. I used to know a Wayne and a Tracey who were both in their 80s :giggle:

Used to be film stars names which became popular back in the day. Then it was pop stars. Then it was nostalgia (in the UK) with lots of Alfies and Daisies. Not sure what it is now.

Wayne and Tracey, in their 80s, wow. i grew up,with dozens of johns, David's, Brian's, etc. simple names. I worked in an office with a total staff of 18? There were 5 johns there, they were all nick named j1,j2,j3, j4 and j5. I still see to this day j4 and j5,lol. J1 and j2.have passed.

Russ

I was never taught at school but I did teach two of the neighbour's kids (plus 11 of their mates) to cook an Indian dish for a school project. I am reminded as I am cooking the same dish today. Egg and potato dum.

I was never taught at school but I did teach two of the neighbour's kids (plus 11 of their mates) to cook an Indian dish for a school project. I am reminded as I am cooking the same dish today. Egg and potato dum.

My kids never learnt at school either. My son absolutely loves my chicken croquettes, I said I'll show you how to make them, they are easy to make. He said I don't need to know while you are making them. Lol.

Russ

Back
Top Bottom