Recipe West Indies style beef stew with porter

Morning Glory

Obsessive cook
Staff member
Local time
12:05 AM
I was going to make a classic British beef stew but then I spotted a bottle of Guinness ‘West Indies porter’, which inspired this dish. If you really can’t take the heat leave out the Scotch bonnet. However, if you use it whole (pierced with a sharp knife), it releases a gentle heat and a delicious fruity note. I served this dish with rice.

Ingredients (serves 2 - 3)
500g shin of beef (or other stewing steak)
250ml porter (or any stout)
8 juniper berries, lightly crushed
8 black peppercorns, lightly crushed
½ tsp ground allspice
1 tsp dried oregano or thyme
2 large cloves of garlic, peeled and crushed
½ tsp salt
1 tbsp brown sugar
10 shallots, peeled but left whole
60g celery, chopped
175g carrots, cut into chunks (optional)
1 Scotch bonnet chilli
Salt to taste
Spring onion to garnish

Method
  1. Cut the beef into large pieces. I cut into 3 ‘steaks’. Shin of beef will fall apart naturally during cooking to form large chunks.
  2. Place the beer in a bowl and mix with the spices, oregano, garlic, salt and sugar. Add the beef. Cover and leave to marinate for 24 hours.
  3. Heat the oil in a pan and fry the shallots until they begin to turn golden brown.
  4. Place the beef, its marinade, the shallots, celery and carrots (if using) in a large pan or slow cooker. Add 100ml of water.
  5. Pierce the Scotch bonnet in several places with the point of a sharp knife but leave whole and add to the beef stew.
  6. Cook covered over a low heat or in a low oven/slow cooker until the meat becomes tender. This will take up to 4-5 hours.
  7. Remove the Scotch bonnet before serving. Sprinkle the stew with the chopped spring onions.

That's how I season with habanero chili peppers. I just cut a slit in one side, and let them stew with everthing else, and then take them out an discard them.

CD

I've heard the Habaneros and Scotch Bonnets are the same thing, and I've heard that they are not. They look the same, to me, and taste the same... HOT!!! Both names are used in the USA, but I never see "Scotch Bonnet" chilis in any stores here.

I've never heard of reusing one. They are pretty cheap, here, so I just toss them once they are used.

CD

Back
Top Bottom