What are the basic skills that aspiring cooks should learn?

All excellent advice.
The best knives and cookware that you can afford.
You are better off with one excellent chef knife than an assortment of mediocre knives. Regardless of the quality keep them sharp.
The same is true with cookware. Fewer pieces of better quality.
All of the very talented people on this forum started with the basics. learn to use a knife, follow a recipe, weigh and measure.
A kitchen essential is a good digital thermometer. It takes experience to cook proteins properly. Even with experience it is a good idea to use a thermometer.
Good luck and happy cooking.

When I started high school, we had home economics, cooking for both sexes. Started my journey into cooking. Prior my cooking was making pike lets at my nans.
I'd start with pikelets how to make bread, cook eggs three ways etc. then cook a roast n veges.
Knives also as mentioned.

Russ

When I started high school, we had home economics, cooking for both sexes. Started my journey into cooking. Prior my cooking was making pike lets at my nans.
I'd start with pikelets how to make bread, cook eggs three ways etc. then cook a roast n veges.
Knives also as mentioned.

Russ
What is a pikelet???

I originally posted this question with specific regards to starting Italian cooking but it was decided that it could also apply to general cooking so it has been reposted as a separate thread. I may not be contributing but I'm still reading it 👍👍

Is it just me or do any of you find it strange that popeye85 has not engaged in this discussion?

It was me that split off this topic as a separate thread from the popeye85's original thread Italian cooking guide. He has replied now! Thanks popeye85. :)

Lots of first timers..... That disappear into the ether!

Russ

popeye85 isn't a first timer. He's posted before about seafood, for example. If you click on someone's icon you can see when they joined and how many messages they have posted.

Here is what I see when I click on your icon/avatar rascal, for example:

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom