What are those ingredients that you should not be storing in the fridge?

Bakemehappy

Veteran
Local time
9:34 PM
I read that butter should not be stored in the fridge is that good or bad? Some says you can not cut then store your onions as they will become toxic. I am just hearing or reading these details and I am not sure if these are indeed are right. Do you have some tips or lists of the things that should not be stored in the fridge?

I think there was an earlier thread relating to this very thing. I cannot remember all of the things which were noted. From what I remember, I think tomatoes were mentioned as one of the items that do not do well when stored in the fridge. They tend to become soft overtime. So even if they are ripe, the fridge would not preserve them and they would do better outside of the fridge. Where table butter is concerned, I always store this in the fridge and have not gotten any bad results from doing so. If I keep table butter out of the refrigerator for too long, it becomes very soft and gets runny. However, margarine does well out of the fridge. If I cut an onion and leave a portion of it in the fridge for a few days, it starts to get brown, so I would have to use it up before it gets to that stage. This is the first time I am hearing that it becomes toxic. I don't know if turning brown means that it has reached the toxic stage.

Tomatoes, onions, garlic and from experience tumeric. I still store my tomatoes in the refrigerator even though I read otherwise. I'll do some more research but I still do what I feel is convenient for me.

I often store things in the fridge simply because I have nowhere else to store them but I do know that somethings are better off out of a fridge (tomatoes won't ripen in a fridge and citrus fruits also don't respond well in flavour terms either). In the UK we are told eggs for need to be stored in a fridge which for UK eggs in anything other than hot weather is probably true, however where else am I to store them? I don't have a spare shelf or windowsill and bluntly, the fridge is the most convenient place to store them for me, so they are in the fridge. Everything else depends on available space and the outside temperature. If it is hot, it goes on the fridge, my food lasts longer that way.

One thing I'd never keep in the fridge is soft cheese such as Camembert. It kills the flavour and stops them ripening. There isn't anything toxic about cut onions - in the fridge or otherwise. Tomatoes certainly taste better if brought to room temperature. Like @SatNavSaysStraightOn I store eggs in the fridge for the same reason (nowhere else to keep them). I really don't think it makes any difference to their taste.

Our fridge is a bit on the small side, so only keep things in there if I really need to. Butter is normally stored in the fridge, but if I know we'll regularly be using it for spreading then it'll go in the butter dish on the windowsill where it stays firm enough to keep it's shape but its easily spreadable. I keep eggs in their box in a cupboard, also some sauces and jams - even though they say to refrigerate when opened we've never had a problem keeping them in the cupboard. Onions, potatoes, garlic and other root veg are live in a wicker basket in a cupboard too.

We do keep tomatoes in the fridge, but I try to always let them come up to room temp before eating them - they taste so much nicer.

I've not heard that story about about onions going toxic - on the rare occasion I have half an onion left over I'll wrap it in clingfilm and put it in the fridge. We've not had any ill effects from doing that so I don't really think its true - though the onion does tend to lose it's flavour so I don't do it very often.

I keep butter in the fridge. I try to buy enough tomatoes and greens for the day only. Garlic, ginger, potatoes, turnip stay in baskets on side table. I don't know if it's my fridge, but even keeping peppers in it seems to turn them soft. Thats why most grocery I have are in the freezer or baskets/pantry.

Back
Top Bottom