What are you doing to take care of yourself?

My mom has Glaucoma, and has had cataract surgery. Her Glaucoma is easily treated with drops, and the cataract surgery made an enormous difference. My dad had his done a few months ago, and wishes he would have done it a few years ago. Yes, you will be happy you did it. Follow the post-op instructions EXACTLY. G will have to put off the fishing camp while you have this done, because you'll need help with drops, and won't be able to bend over, or lift anything over ten pounds. You won't be allowed to drive, either, for a couple weeks after each eye is done. But, when it is time to get his done, you'll have to do the same for him.

BTW, I'm expecting my Gastroenterologist to start bugging me for my next Alien Butt Probe soon.

CD

Kinda like the digital prostate check I get every two years, necessary for self preservation. It doesn't bother me.

Russ

Kinda like the digital prostate check I get every two years, necessary for self preservation. It doesn't bother me.

Russ

Not having a prostate I have no point of reference. :laugh: The backside invasion is bad enough, thank you very much. On the subject of prostates my Baby Brother was diagnosed with Prostate cancer and had surgery. He urged our brothers to be tested. My first Brother had prostate cancer and surgery. Baby Brother's urging may well have saved his life.

Not having a prostate I have no point of reference. :laugh: The backside invasion is bad enough, thank you very much. On the subject of prostates my Baby Brother was diagnosed with Prostate cancer and had surgery. He urged our brothers to be tested. My first Brother had prostate cancer and surgery. Baby Brother's urging may well have saved his life.

A friend of mine who I look up to, I went into business because of him, had prostate removed about 15 years ago, he alerted me to it. That's why I get mine checked. Blood every second year.

Russ

My best friend had prostate cancer. He was treated at MD Anderson Cancer Hospital in Houston. Being in SE LA, I assume you know of it. He had the surgery -- laparoscopic surgery -- and he has been cancer free for two years. The recovery period was brutal, but like you said, it saved his life.

BTW, the digital (as in digits) exam is mostly embarrassing -- it doesn't hurt.

CD

The aging happened in the last 6 or 7 years.
Stress will age a person as much as anything. It used to be, when someone would find out age, they couldn't believe it: "You look 10 years younger than that...at least!" I used to love that :laugh:

Then MrsT's health issues set in, and it drastically changed everything, and I'm telling you, it felt like I aged overnight. I think it's all rolled together: stressful situation leads to lack of sleep, poor food choices, lack of/loss of physical and mental exercise, loss of the ability to relax...and it all comes out in wrinkles, weight gain, and general poor appearance. As someone said, "It's the beat-down Life gives you."

I can't read street signs until I am right up on them and avoid making left turns without a traffic light because I can not judge distance.
That's definitely me (as well as the night driving). I get honked at frequently because I won't turn right on a red light into a multi-lane street, because I can't tell until someone gets right up on me what lane they're in.

Prostate exams...I've had mine checked digitally (and I don't mean a computer) two or three times (I may have blanked that first one out :laugh:). Seriously, guys make a huge deal out of it, and it's not as bad as all that - certainly not as bad as what I imagine a female goes through for a pelvic exam. All a prostate exam requires is finger - there are actual medical implements crafted for what a female gets subjected to. Now that's a probe!

BTW, for those of you who have Netflix and you want a laugh, it's worth watching the episode of The Kominsky Method where the lead character (Sandy Kominsky, played by Michael Douglas) gets a prostate exam. The doc is played by Danny DeVito, and it's absolutely hilarious. You don't have to have watched any other episodes to enjoy that one.

I will add this...my long-time internist, a male, has left the practice and has been replaced by an oh-so-cute 20-something nurse practitioner, female. They do a PSA test as part of my blood work, but I'm coming up due for the finger check soon.

I'm genuinely curious how she's going to play that. Is it going to be, "I'm a medical professional, it's just a gland to be checked, like any other," or will it be, "No way am I sticking my finger up your butt and tickling your sensitive bit...I'm going to refer you to someone else!"? :laugh:

I have had female doctors examine my external bits before, and in a, shall we say, hands-on fashion, but that could be seen as a lot less...uncomfortable for the doc than the Alien Butt Probe.

Then MrsT's health issues set in, and it drastically changed everything, and I'm telling you, it felt like I aged overnight. I think it's all rolled together: stressful situation leads to lack of sleep, poor food choices, lack of/loss of physical and mental exercise, loss of the ability to relax...and it all comes out in wrinkles, weight gain, and general poor appearance. As someone said, "It's the beat-down Life gives you."

Look at our past presidents. Look at Clinton, Bush II, and Obama. Compare what they looked like before and after their terms. I don't think any of them had grey hair before serving as President, but all had it at the end.

Of course, Trump started and ended with some shade of yellow-orange hair -- from a bottle.

CD

Last edited:
Prostate exams...I've had mine checked digitally (and I don't mean a computer) two or three times (I may have blanked that first one out :laugh:). Seriously, guys make a huge deal out of it, and it's not as bad as all that - certainly not as bad as what I imagine a female goes through for a pelvic exam. All a prostate exam requires is finger - there are actual medical implements crafted for what a female gets subjected to. Now that's a probe!

BTW, for those of you who have Netflix and you want a laugh, it's worth watching the episode of The Kominsky Method where the lead character (Sandy Kominsky, played by Michael Douglas) gets a prostate exam. The doc is played by Danny DeVito, and it's absolutely hilarious. You don't have to have watched any other episodes to enjoy that one.

I will add this...my long-time internist, a male, has left the practice and has been replaced by an oh-so-cute 20-something nurse practitioner, female. They do a PSA test as part of my blood work, but I'm coming up due for the finger check soon.

I'm genuinely curious how she's going to play that. Is it going to be, "I'm a medical professional, it's just a gland to be checked, like any other," or will it be, "No way am I sticking my finger up your butt and tickling your sensitive bit...I'm going to refer you to someone else!"? :laugh:

I have had female doctors examine my external bits before, and in a, shall we say, hands-on fashion, but that could be seen as a lot less...uncomfortable for the doc than the Alien Butt Probe.

You can request a male doctor to do exams of the prostate and "boy parts," just as women can request female doctors to do exams that they are uncomfortable having a man do. The doctors aren't offended, if they are true professionals. They understand the discomfort you feel, and get someone of the same gender if you request.

CD

You can request a male doctor to do exams of the prostate and "boy parts," just as women can request female doctors to do exams that they are uncomfortable having a man do. The doctors aren't offended, if they are true professionals. They understand the discomfort you feel, and get someone of the same gender if you request.

CD
That's the thing, though - I'm not that uncomfortable. My own comfort aside, I'm curious what her reaction will be when she says, "You're due for a prostate exam, I can refer you to Dr. Hairylegs if you prefer," and I come back with, "Nah, let's just get it over with right now."

I want to see if she looks at me like, "No big deal, drop 'em," or if there will be an ever-so-slight, momentary look of, "Awww, f*&%, I've got to stick my finger up this guy's butt! I knew I should have called in sick today!" :laugh:

On the plus side her fingers are smaller. Hopefully she does not have nail extensions. :laugh: Seriously? Do not question her professionalism. BTW - I prefer a nurse practitioner. They are more approachable, more sympathetic, more humane, The transition from RN to NP is a near equivalent to Med School. My choice of Family Practitioner will be a Nurse Practitioner.
G's Family Practitioner is a male MD. G can never get in to see him without at least two weeks notice. He uses a walk in clinic instead. What is the point? The only time you can see your MD is for an annual check up? I have neglected my health care for the last three years. I was seeing a NP prior to that. If I called and said I needed to see her for whatever I was seen within 48 hours.
TR - do not be flip or undermine the professionalism of your NP. Bad boy! You may end up having a crush on her. 🤗

Last edited:
On the plus side her fingers are smaller. Hopefully she does not have nail extensions. :laugh: Seriously? Do not question her professionalism. BTW - I prefer a nurse practitioner. They are more approachable, more sympathetic, more humane, The transition from RN to NP is a near equivalent to Med School. My choice of Family Practitioner will be a Nurse Practitioner.
I'm not questioning her professionalism - I know she'll do the job. I just want to know if, for just a split nanosecond, she thinks, "I really don't want to have to do this!" :laugh:

Can I join the discussion and make a paralel with male gynecologists? :D It is said they are more careful than female gynecologists as they do not have a clear idea of what women can or cannot endure. As someone who's seen about 8 different gynecologists including 2 men I can tell this is true.

Can I join the discussion and make a paralel with male gynecologists? :D It is said they are more careful than female gynecologists as they do not have a clear idea of what women can or cannot endure. As someone who's seen about 8 different gynecologists including 2 men I can tell this is true.
My wife refuses to see a male GYN for that very reason.

I have not seen a GYN since menopause - 49 YO. I often fantasized about a physical relationship with a GYN. A man who knew exactly what buttons to push. OMG. :oops:
I've read they have lower sex drives than non-gynaecologist men.

Back
Top Bottom