What are your favourite beans?

Morning Glory

Obsessive cook
Staff member
Local time
7:56 AM
My current favourite beans are black beans. Not only do they have a wonderful earthy, smoky flavour but to my mind they look sexy! The shiny blackness looks stunning with red chillies, yellow peppers, green herbs. - I could go on...

Another favourite of mine is fava beans (dried broad beans). I fist ate them in Cairo, where Ful Medames is something of a national dish. They have a deep earthy taste which almost edges into bitterness. and they collapse into a delicious rough soupy consistency when cooked. Utterly divine with olive oil, lemon juice, garlic and coriander leaves scattered over and a flatbread to dunk.

What are your favourite beans? Perhaps its good old Heinz Baked Beans!?

I have a very hard time cooking dried black beans. They NEVER seen to get soft!! Even after I soak them. :headshake::stop:

I have a very hard time cooking dried black beans. They NEVER seen to get soft!! Even after I soak them. :headshake::stop:
I just buy them in tins, ready cooked! :D But I have cooked them from dried. I can't really advise as your beans and my beans aren't going to be the same! But generally speaking if beans won't cook then they are very old beans.

My favourite bean is chickpeas (sorry they are in the pea family, not the bean family) :scratchhead: broad beans, followed by fresh runner beans. If I go dried, well I love kidney beans and black turtle beans... after that it would have to be black-eyed beans which are great because they don't actually need a soaking time and work really well when you have forgotten about life and run out of time. :wink: Butter beans (great northern beans) are another favourite.

Last edited:
My favourite bean is chickpeas :scratchhead: broad beans, followed by fresh runner beans. If I go dried, well I love kidney beans and black turtle beans... after that it would have to be black-eyed beans which are great because they don't actually need a soaking time and work really well when you have forgotten about life and run out of time. :wink: Butter beans (great northern beans) are another favourite.
Yes, fresh broad beans are my favourite fresh bean too. I like the skins too - they are the bit which has that bitter edge, I think. Sometimes I take the skins off for the vivid green presentation, as in: Recipe Please Don't Eat the Daisies

Butter beans I love too. They have that wonderful dryish texture and a creamy side, too. Great for soaking up flavours in sauces and dressings.

My favorite beans are chickpeas (also known as garbanzo beans). They are traditionally used in the Middle East in many dishes. I love to make hummus from them; in fact I just ate hummus with vegetables for lunch. :wink:

My favorite beans are chickpeas (also known as garbanzo beans). They are traditionally used in the Middle East in many dishes. I love to make hummus from them; in fact I just ate hummus with vegetables for lunch. :wink:
Yes - chickpeas are great. Why not enter a middle-eastern recipe into The CookingBites Recipe Challenge? The current chosen ingredient is beans!!! :D

Yes - chickpeas are great. Why not enter a middle-eastern recipe into The CookingBites Recipe Challenge? The current chosen ingredient is beans!!! :D
But chickpeas are a member of the pea family not the bean family (family Fabaceae, subfamily Faboideae). Only the USA call them beans, everywhere else it is either chickpeas, chicken pea, garbanzo, (not garbanzo beans), gram, Bengali gram, Egyptian pea, ceci, Kabuli chana, chana or cece.

Are you allowing peas as well under your beans?

But chickpeas are a member of the pea family not the bean family (family Fabaceae, subfamily Faboideae). Only the USA call them beans, everywhere else it is either chickpeas, chicken pea, garbanzo, (not garbanzo beans), gram, Bengali gram, Egyptian pea, ceci, Kabuli chana, chana or cece.

Are you allowing peas as well under your beans?
Can of worms... or beans. I really don't mind. In my first post (wrongly or rightly!) I said that chickpeas were included in the challenge. Its a really difficult thing to define beans and peas categorically and I knew that chickpeas were regarded by many as a type of bean, so I included them.

Can of worms... or beans. I really don't mind. In my first post (wrongly or rightly!) I said that chickpeas were included in the challenge. Its a really difficult thing to define beans and peas categorically and I knew that chickpeas were regarded by many as a type of bean, so I included them.
I hadn't read that they were included and have never reheated them as a bean, but as a pea! Like you said a can of mixed beans really.... :o_o: :roflmao:

Back
Top Bottom